Highest score in a play-off penalty shoot ever?

General discussions about the game, e.g. game strategy.
will_the_canuck

Highest score in a play-off penalty shoot ever?

Post by will_the_canuck »

Hello. Although I was not playing either of these two teams in this game, I just happened to glance at the fixtures option and noticed the outcome and thought holy crap. :) Well, I think you would understand my thoughts on this one. The score was from a MLS Conference Final between Orlando City and Chicago F. It went to penalty kicks and the final score for that game was 76 to 77. And just in case you think I'm making this up, a screenshot of the score is attached.

So feel free to comment or such and let me know what you think, if anything.

will_the_canuck
bf-highest-score-ever.png
bf-highest-score-ever.png (120.08 KiB) Viewed 909 times
billys_boots

Re: Highest score in a play-off penalty shoot ever?

Post by billys_boots »

During a recent test of a definition update I had a cup game that finished 170-169, I lost :(
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

Technically it is possible. Does anybody know if in real life they would let it get this far?
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

A penalty shootout continues until there is a winner so 170-169 could actually happen, The record in England is 14-13 so after all the players on the pitch at full time have taken a penalty the sequence continues in the same order. I suppose after 340 penalties both goalkeepers would be tired, the fans might start getting bored and if the game was on TV the broadcaster might have long since given up.
will_the_canuck

Post by will_the_canuck »

gunnar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 am Technically it is possible. Does anybody know if in real life they would let it get this far?
As this is in reference to a game ending in a penalty shoot-out with a score of 170-169, I would say yes, it would be allowed to go that far in real life but realistically, it would likely not get that far. As billys_boots said, the highest score in England is 14 to 13. As with the penalty kick shoot-out, the first 5 guys go and then it is one man at a time after that. The chances they would get up to even 10 goals is likely rare enough, but over 100, likely not in this lifetime. :)

And when I think of other sports and declaring a winner, baseball games go on until there is a winner. There was even a 19 inning game not too long ago that happened here in Toronto. And a regular game ends after 9 innings. I also think of play-off hockey in the Stanley Cup play-offs. They don't use the short overtime period plus the shoot-out if needed, but with the play-offs, they do full 20 minute periods until a winner is declared, so if it takes 1, 2, or more extra periods to get a winner, they play. And with men's tennis at Wimbledon, the 5th set can go on and on. The 5th set is usually played so that the winner wins by 2 games. Whereas the first 4 sets could be something like 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, and 6-7, the 5th set has to be at least up to 6 or 7, so anything like 6-4 would win but beyond that, they would have to win by 2, so even 15-13 is possible for a 5th set score, if I recall.

So when I think of it, when it comes to the play-offs, there has to be a winner. If the score goes above 10 in a penalty shoot-out, well, it could be exciting and also boring, depending on which way your team leads, but as it goes on and on, you'll only wish it to end I guess.

Anyways, just my thoughts on this one.

will_the_canuck
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

Wimbledon recently stopped using unlimited final sets after the John Isner vs Nicolas Mahut match in 2010 finished 6-4, 3-6, 6-7,7-6, 70-68 in the 2010 championship which took 3 days to complete and John Isner vs Kevin Anderson match in 2018 finished 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 26-24. Wimbledon now uses tie breaks in all sets at 6-6 except the final set of a match where the tie breaks comes into play at 12-12. A tie break still must be won by 2 clear points