1.9.0: live game

The developers will post here to let you peek into future versions and announce new releases.

Moderator: idcarlos

gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i've been working on the live game. there is a tendency bar now and also midfield values for teams. the screenshot in the first post of this topic is updated.

please let me know what you think of it. in my opinion it's a slight problem that there is the tendency bar AND ball possession (the small blue ball next to the team name), so even if the tendency bar is to the right, say, it doesn't necessarily mean that the home team is attacking; it could also mean the away team has the ball, only it's in their half of the pitch (defending zone). it's more realistic, but it also makes grasping the current situation a bit hard maybe. on the other hand you could get used to it, perhaps.

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
vector

Post by vector »

no i like it excellent.
I slowed it down so i could keep a track of what was what . and i like the way the possesion differes from the position. gives it an added dimension. not only do you know where the ball is but you now know that your defending or attacking etc ... great.

BTW
commentary read
" 49 ooh no Beatty scored an own goal"

but the goal was never recorded ;)

might have to be a referees inquest into that :)
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:commentary read
" 49 ooh no Beatty scored an own goal"
corrected. also added some more colours for the tendency bar (hoping to make it easier to see what's happening).

gyözö
GeoVah

Post by GeoVah »

I love it !!!

Color is ok,
But for me, it shows too commentary : maybe we can define verbose level, don't know is it's already in ?
- all commentary
- Only goals, injury and red/yellow card
Geovah - geovah@jabber.sk- (yes i'm french...)
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

GeoVah wrote:I love it !!!

Color is ok,
But for me, it shows too commentary : maybe we can define verbose level, don't know is it's already in ?
- all commentary
- Only goals, injury and red/yellow card
yes, definitely. it's just that this is a very early stadium of development (e.g. the actions that seem to happen don't really have consequences, players don't really get injured, ie. their health variable isn't set) and i want to see everything happening so that i know if there's a bug. but there'll be an option for disabling the general commentary.

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i've implemented fitness regeneration now in the cvs. i'd be grateful if anyone could play for some weeks (nothing else is possible, though, no fixture display etc.) and tell me about crashes and whether the fitness ups-and-downs are ok.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

i have some live game icons ready I think most are in tho
here are the icons bundled and a constants file snippet. @
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/cg ... LiveGame19
mds_choice.tar.gz

Ill work on stadium icons next.

You deleted the crossbar event?
it has an icon. the live game flow looks good when the striker icon follwed by the post or xbar or miss icons.

highlighting the comments was a brilliant idea. Im not sure what would be best tho. as you have it (highlighting home team) or highlighting the users team. but then i figured if this was someone else (multiplayer) looking at the game its best to keep it as you have it ;)
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:i have some live game icons ready I think most are in tho
yes, the stadium events and the lost possession are the only ones missing.

comments:
- i like most of the new ones
- what i don't like are the goal and own goal icons. the goal icon looks too much like some player/foul/scoring chance event (with the red-dressed player). i like it better when you can see instantly it's a goal.
- the own goal icon on the other hand is too different from the goal icon. an own goal is a goal, too, so the icon should be a bit similar to the goal icon. i opt for the goal icon like before (ball with green star) and the own goal icon to be a similar ball with a red star.
You deleted the crossbar event?
it has an icon. the live game flow looks good when the striker icon follwed by the post or xbar or miss icons.
no, i just put the icon for post and cross bar together. but this is corrected.
highlighting the comments was a brilliant idea. Im not sure what would be best tho. as you have it (highlighting home team) or highlighting the users team. but then i figured if this was someone else (multiplayer) looking at the game its best to keep it as you have it ;)
not my idea ;-) i also thought about highlighting the user team. in fact i think the away team is highlighted, no? anyway, the background colour is configurable in the constants file, as always.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

well luckily you can choose which ever ones you like ;)

I was trying to create a film strip like appearance, which I thought worked well. I played a number of games like this to get an idea how it looks. The striker appears then a a big red guy with his arms in the air net behind him. GOAL or the miss was over the top or at a post lookes pretty clear on my monitor maybe not so on a smaller one. I havent made an own goal version of the above type, thats coming.

I guess we are back to the debate between "figurines" versus abstract. I dont think the two can mix its either one or the other?

I didnt like the "abstract" icons like balls and stars and stuff it just looks tacky to me.
I guess i get more(excitment) out of seeing a guy with his hands in the air than a blue ball as a goal indication.
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

have added some stadium and an injury cross
no time to document, there on my twiki site
must sleep
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

There is no problem in having two sets.

Ill sort out the twiki site a bit better once we have doen the development.
Make a few "bundles" of icons and people can make there own decision.

Im wondering if it would be better to seperate the icon constants from the other contants file.? Probably more trouble than its worth.? A quick look last night indicated that the various icons, not just the live game, but all icons were scattered around the contsants file. It would be nice to have them all in the same place. I guess im eluding to a "skins" like solution again ;( Where it easy for someone to just replace the "bygfoot_icon_constants.file" with "freds_icon_contants.file" instead of having to open up and cut n paste text.

Anyway ill do some more abstract artwork, some balls and stars n such.

erm these last 5 posts should probably be in the artwork discussion area :oops:
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:I was trying to create a film strip like appearance, which I thought worked well. I played a number of games like this to get an idea how it looks. The striker appears then a a big red guy with his arms in the air net behind him. GOAL or the miss was over the top or at a post lookes pretty clear on my monitor maybe not so on a smaller one. I havent made an own goal version of the above type, thats coming.
all right, have it your way. you're the arts guy :-) your reasoning is convincing. but the goal icon looks a bit like the player holds a board in his hands or so, maybe he should be a bit less centered. the own goal could be a player on his knees, holding his head.
I guess we are back to the debate between "figurines" versus abstract. I dont think the two can mix its either one or the other?
you're right, it's better to do it consistently.
vector wrote:have added some stadium and an injury cross
no time to document, there on my twiki site
must sleep
i on the other hand didn't have time to include them in the cvs (but the stadium icons look great :-)). i won't be able to do it for a while, because i'm working on some cup internals again with big changes to the code.
vector wrote:Im wondering if it would be better to seperate the icon constants from the other contants file.? Probably more trouble than its worth.? A quick look last night indicated that the various icons, not just the live game, but all icons were scattered around the contsants file. It would be nice to have them all in the same place. I guess im eluding to a "skins" like solution again ;( Where it easy for someone to just replace the "bygfoot_icon_constants.file" with "freds_icon_contants.file" instead of having to open up and cut n paste text.
right, we'll do that. no, it's not that much work. and it's really very reasonable. but i'll only have time to do it in a few days at earliest.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

all right, have it your way. you're the arts guy Smile your reasoning is convincing
ooh i was looking forward to an argument ;) (monty pythonism sorry)
no matter ill/am doing both to some extent.
but the goal icon looks a bit like the player holds a board
aghh ok that I can try n fix. Sounds like the net resolution is not coming thru.
The trouble is to keep it square 20x20 as soon as you add "depth" to a picture you need to spread items out. But still stay within 20x20 which means making the items smaller ;(
the own goal could be a player on his knees, holding his head.
HEY !! are you looking at my HD? Thats exactly what hes doing. Having trouble with resolution tho and havent released it.

small small small its a challange. I had a little crane with a building beam and a half built stadium as an icon for "enhance stadium" but down small its just a blob :( (yeah i know its not an event i was preempting the stadium screen. The riots one did the same, down small its no good., Crowds just dont seem to work at 20 pixels.

You think your picky on my icons ;) you should see the ones I dont let thru :lol: Dont confuse a good idea with bad implementation. Ie the figurines is a good idea, dont squash it due to my inability to draw the little suckers :roll:
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:HEY !! are you looking at my HD? Thats exactly what hes doing. Having trouble with resolution tho and havent released it.
:-)
The riots one did the same, down small its no good., Crowds just dont seem to work at 20 pixels.
maybe we could have a stadium with some (or a lot of) smoke over it (though that remind us of the fire event a bit); after all that infamous match in italy was cancelled because of the 'fans' throwing a lot of smoking firework stuff onto the pitch.

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

live game verbosity levels are implemented (ie. you can switch off passing commentary, or switch off everything except goals).

gyözö