authentic squads for Serie A season 2010/2011

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: authentic squads for Serie A season 2010/2011

Post by gyboth »

Ok, let me clarify a bit: I don't like a post like "Thanks, but no thanks", because it's not criticism, it's unwarranted sarcasm, particularly given the fact that nobody forces you to download the defs that were posted. If you don't like it, don't download it. No need to flame.

And Alyn, responding to a post with "Shut up", a few minutes after I stress my preference for nice and polite discourse is just plain dumb. The same rules about politeness apply to you as to Foss, and I won't have any scruples banning you as well if you don't reign in your language in this forum.
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Foss wrote:Excuse me? Now you're being out of bounds yourself. I doubt this forum is a totalitarian state where one can't express their opinions.
I have every right to criticize him too.
Again, just to be clear: of course you may criticize, as long as you stay rational and polite. Pointing out that a particular online database is not suitable to create defs is ok. Complaining about "obviously lackluster abilities" and slipping into sarcasm isn't.
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
pietro

Post by pietro »

Foss is not doing any constructive criticism here because:
1) He hasn't provided names of resources on which he based his definitions and didn't tell why they are better
2) Hasn't revealed what is his formula when creating player's ability and potential

After that everyone can consider if it's possible at all to:
a) create anything "Foss style" and
b) it would be playable
c) reflect the reality
d) it can be done in limited amount of time

I now how it looks like when official FM database is created and we cannot do it same way
Foss

Post by Foss »

If you want me to name one of my resources, then I can say IMscouting, where I have access to it's premium functionalities.
I don't have any "formula" that would calculate player ability, this would be stupid as each player needs to be treated as an individual.
It's quite easy to do this for me in a certain time frame, don't worry about that. I can't see why it wouldn't be as playable as yours and not reflect reality better.

Your first two points are the ones that give away the inaccuracy of your definitions to my mind; transfermarkt.de is a great source for information on player's market values, injuries
and all sorts of general things, but one can simply not gauge a player's ability on their market value, at least accurately. It's impossible with this one figure to rate players realistically
to me. Second of all, you're using a formula to calculate these ratings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does doing this not ignore individual attributes of players?

I'll also go ahead and answer your points.

a) Most definitely, unless you have something you know about my work habits better than me.
b) Could you elaborate on this, as I can't see why it wouldn't be as playable as your definitions.
c) Of course not with hundred percent accuracy, but I will be considering various sources of information to try and achieve realism.
d) Fair point, but I'm sure I'll make it through.

So in short, I don't have any particular formula as I believe it will produce more realistic results when players are given individual considerations.
I also believe that your method of using one number (market value) isn't sufficient enough to produce realistic definitions, as there's so many things to consider with a footballer
and how good he is or how good he will be.

EDIT: Furthermore, how can you deny my right to criticize your work even if I hadn't revealed my methods?
One doesn't see music critics or film critics make their own music or films.
Thus I believe your claim of me being unable to criticize you is rendered inert, and I hope you won't repeat it as I'm getting bored with you saying I can't criticize you.

I hope everybody is satisfied with my points and criticism here, without it having contain trolling.
pietro

Post by pietro »

So you've got striker Eric Bekoe and his Scout Report from that website you mentioned and his abilities are rated as follows:
Acceleration 10/10
Pace 10/10
Stamina 8/10
Strength 6/10
Short Passes 8/10
One Touch Play 8/10
Long Passes 7/10
Concentration, Crossing, Dribbling and so on and so on..
PLUS: it says "in comparison to local league in Egypt" (so it's not global scale rating common for every league)

what do you do next when creating this player?
Foss

Post by Foss »

I don't have to consider that data at all, since the ratings are vague and only there to give direction and are relative to the league in question anyway.
As I said, I have multiple sources of information and I use IMscouting for help with scouting players, not to get info on their skills, although it's a nice touch.

What I do with the player is I use my sources and find other info on the Internet of the particular player if I don't already have knowledge of the player in question
and after research I decide my rating for the player and fit it inside my league ability ladders with dynamic ceilings to more accurately represent reality in comparison
to league quality, although as I mentioned these ceilings are dynamic so exceptions can and will happen.
pietro

Post by pietro »

It sounds professional to me. I just wonder how advanced is your work, I mean how much you've already done?
My intuition tells me you will be bogged down by too ambitious fashion of doing it but lets hope I'm wrong.

Oh, that request:
Foss wrote: b) Could you elaborate on this, as I can't see why it wouldn't be as playable as your definitions.
there is a risk that you will do it too subjective, your final individual evaluation may be reflection of your own sympathies and can be disfigured by lack of knowledge or time/patience as you're the last and main filter through which all those information go, whereas I only translate from transfermarkt to the game. Somebody else and more professional judges and rank for me, I'm only a mere modest translator.
alyn2010

Post by alyn2010 »

pietro, anything new in your definitions?
Foss

Post by Foss »

pietro wrote:It sounds professional to me. I just wonder how advanced is your work, I mean how much you've already done?
My intuition tells me you will be bogged down by too ambitious fashion of doing it but lets hope I'm wrong.

Oh, that request:
Foss wrote: b) Could you elaborate on this, as I can't see why it wouldn't be as playable as your definitions.
there is a risk that you will do it too subjective, your final individual evaluation may be reflection of your own sympathies and can be disfigured by lack of knowledge or time/patience as you're the last and main filter through which all those information go, whereas I only translate from transfermarkt to the game. Somebody else and more professional judges and rank for me, I'm only a mere modest translator.
The only problem with using market values is that I find using one value too vague to rate players and it might result in disproportionate and skewed ratings for some leagues.
pietro

Post by pietro »

alyn2010 wrote:pietro, anything new in your definitions?
French league done, with logos, so top 5 European leagues ready. Now I'm working on Turkish biggest teams than Russian and so on.
Would you like to download updated definitions?

Foss, I hope I will play your definitions someday, good luck.
alyn2010

Post by alyn2010 »

pietro wrote:
alyn2010 wrote:pietro, anything new in your definitions?
French league done, with logos, so top 5 European leagues ready. Now I'm working on Turkish biggest teams than Russian and so on.
Would you like to download updated definitions?

Foss, I hope I will play your definitions someday, good luck.
No, just make more teams from around Europe ... Turkey, Holland, Russia, Croatia, Switzerland, Portugal, Ukraine, Greece etc.
alyn2010

Post by alyn2010 »

Anything new Pietro ? Please post what you have done.
pietro

Post by pietro »

Here you go.French League plus SIX Russian top teams and FIVE Turkish top teams. Now aim is Portugal then Holland but please give me more time now as I'm REALLY busy.
Attachments
definitions.zip
(816.61 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
alyn2010

Post by alyn2010 »

pietro wrote:Here you go.French League plus SIX Russian top teams and FIVE Turkish top teams. Now aim is Portugal then Holland but please give me more time now as I'm REALLY busy.
No problem. You`ve made a great work and please continue this. Thank YOU !
alyn2010

Post by alyn2010 »

And please correct because in turkey after installing your definitions there are 2 bursaspor, 2 trabzonspor and in russia 2 rubin kazan etc.