Problems with player names

General help forum. You can post here if you have trouble installing, for instance.
winchman

Problems with player names

Post by winchman »

Hi.

I discovered Bygfoot by accident a month or so ago and have really enjoyed playing it. The big thing for me is the fact you can change it to pretty much anything you want.

On that front I am big on realistic names for players, and even more so on a realistic distribution of names e.g. Smith being the most common English surname.

As far as I can tell it should be a case of getting this by adding more Smiths to the England names file which works OK to a point. Trouble is I have a lot of names and when I add too many the game refuses to work any more. It takes even less names to crash it in foreign leagues. I've been working on Albanian names and it really doesn't like them at all.

Is there a limit to the number of names you can have in a name file, am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Hope you can help as the extra realism will really help my enjoyment of the game - it's hard to enter into the spirit of things when FK Tirana are playing with men called John Simpson in the side!!
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

Could you tell how it crashes? If you're on windows or mac, the last lines of one of the log files (stdout.log, stderr.log, bygfoot.log) could help a great deal. Could you also send a names file that crashes?

However, I presume you are hitting a memory limit and if you want to give a more realistic distribution of names we might want to add a factor instead of adding names twice, thrice, .... as we do now. You'll have to wait for a new version though.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

gunnar wrote: However, I presume you are hitting a memory limit and if you want to give a more realistic distribution of names we might want to add a factor instead of adding names twice, thrice, .... as we do now. You'll have to wait for a new version though.
I've made this part a feature request, you can follow the status at https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=445179