Which definition files are used ?

General help forum. You can post here if you have trouble installing, for instance.
Mirelsol

Which definition files are used ?

Post by Mirelsol »

Hello,

I've installed the last version of Bygfoot. However I wonder why the definition files that are used (e.g. league_italy1.xml) are taken from my Bygfoot installation directory and NOT from the ones which are in my HOME directory ?

Any idea ?

Thanks.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

The order of directories in which support files are looked for is
  1. $PWD/support_files
  2. $HOME/.bygfoot
  3. INSTALLATION_DIR/support_files
So indeed, your home dir should come first, not the installation directory. You can also specify a support directory with the command line switch -s, which then precedes the others.

Which version did you install, and what's your OS?
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Mirelsol

Post by Mirelsol »

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 8.04 and Bygfoot 2.3.0.
I understand your answer, I launch it from the directory Bygfoot is installed in (otherwise it doesn't work), so that's why it takes the corresponding support_files directory.

I tried to launch it using :
./bygfoot -s $HOME/.bygfoot

But it first started working a lot on the hard drive and then hangs. I have no error message.

Thanks.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Mirelsol wrote:I launch it from the directory Bygfoot is installed in (otherwise it doesn't work)
Why, any idea?
I tried to launch it using :
./bygfoot -s $HOME/.bygfoot
Does the home variable resolve correctly? Maybe you could try with a full path? On my system (Mac OS X) it works. Another solution would be to overwrite the definitions in the program directory with your own.

Oh, and btw, which package do you use? The binary? Maybe you should compile the source package, then.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

It works when you use "bygfoot -s $HOME/.bygfoot/definitions"
It's seems like bygfoot is in recursive hell when using $HOME/.bygfoot
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

@Mirelsol
Do you use the binary package as on sourceforge, do you use an rpm, debian package, build yourself?

When I use the binary package, it can't find bygfoot_constants which is in support_dir, but not in $HOME/.bygfoot.
Mirelsol

Post by Mirelsol »

Hello,

Thanks for your answers.
I use the binary package and didn't try to compile the sources (as it was apparently working, that is to say the start window was displayed).

FYI :
- If I try to launch Bygfoot outside of the install directory, I get the following error :
** (bygfoot:21065): WARNING **: Could not open file 'bygfoot_constants' in mode 'r'.

- If I go to the installation directory and run :
./bygfoot -s $HOME/.bygfoot/definitions

Then it is working !

Thanks to both for your help.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Mirelsol wrote:- If I try to launch Bygfoot outside of the install directory, I get the following error :
** (bygfoot:21065): WARNING **: Could not open file 'bygfoot_constants' in mode 'r'.
This is normal behaviour, the binary version is meant to be used like the old DOS programs, ie. called from their working directory.

But anyway, you've discovered a bug which is now fixed in SVN, so thanks :-)