User Interface Redesign

General discussions about the game, e.g. game strategy.
charlieg

User Interface Redesign

Post by charlieg »

The UI, frankly, sucks. The game is fun but it is fun in spite of the user interface.
  • Something as simple as viewing players is a chore. I click on one, view his details, click on the next player and - no, I don't see his details - it swaps the players over in the roster. *frustrating*
  • I'm looking at the transfer list. I can't see a players age (without having to navigate through to the team - the long way around) or the value his team attach to him. (In real life football, any team listing a player for transfer states a desired value.)
  • There's no feedback on how well or badly players are performing during the game. Substitutions are basically guess-work. Player ratings (starting at 6, and fluctuating) would be very much appreciated.
  • Substitutions do not get "undone" after the game. It can be annoying having to constantly reset the teamsheet.
  • No chance to review fitness and approve team selection - the match just "starts".
It should be made single-window only. Clicking should not be context-sensitive [different according to the view] and more visual feedback is required [change colour of the selected player's name].
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: User Interface Redesign

Post by gyboth »

charlieg wrote:The UI, frankly, sucks. The game is fun but it is fun in spite of the user interface.

let me make something clear from the start: it's nice to get feedback and improvement suggestions. however, the project is currently somewhat in limbo. recently i neither have the motivation nor the time to make real changes to the game, so i only do some bugfixing. i'm planning to make the 1.9 branch stable enough for a 2.0.0 release and shortly afterwards abandon the game officially.

this means that you can't count on me when it comes to the implementation of some of your (or others') ideas that seem sensible.

nevertheless, i have a few remarks concerning your points.
Something as simple as viewing players is a chore. I click on one, view his details, click on the next player and - no, I don't see his details - it swaps the players over in the roster. *frustrating*
you can switch to the previous/next player's details by clicking on the green arrows or pressing Q/W. you can also customise the columns shown in the player list if you want to see more player information at once.
I'm looking at the transfer list. I can't see a players age (without having to navigate through to the team - the long way around) or the value his team attach to him. (In real life football, any team listing a player for transfer states a desired value.)
you're mistaken about the age. if your scout's good or best, you can see the age on the transfer list and when browsing teams. if he's average or bad, you can't, in neither case.

i also disagree with your claim that teams state desired values when offering players. usually they only tell you the value they expect when you show you're interested in buying the player -- and this is how it works in Bygfoot, too. however, it could be a nice idea to add a column showing the minumum fee the team expects.
There's no feedback on how well or badly players are performing during the game. Substitutions are basically guess-work. Player ratings (starting at 6, and fluctuating) would be very much appreciated.
this is simply because Bygfoot is meant to be a simple game, so players don't "perform" the way you're implying. they just have a fitness and a skill, and that's it. oh, and they have streaks, too, i almost forgot. but other than this, there's nothing you should know about them, because these are the only values that get considered by the live game algorithm.
Substitutions do not get "undone" after the game. It can be annoying having to constantly reset the teamsheet.
in my opinion, this is a matter of taste. but maybe you're right and it'd be better to have such an undo feature.
No chance to review fitness and approve team selection - the match just "starts"
why do you want to review something that's on your screen all the time before the match starts? or maybe i'm misunderstanding you?

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Resurrecting this thread since development has resumed.

I posted a few whines on the UI here:
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2007/03/m ... wards.html
mrsmola

Post by mrsmola »

Bygfoot has a lot of users. Many of them have very good suggestions for improvement. I have many ideas, too ;-)

But we have a problem: the number of developers.

At the moment there are some open bugs. After fixing the bugs we should make a stable release. Having the next stable release we can discuss new features, redesign, etc. here at the forum.

Mark
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

This topic needs to keep going. What don't you like about the current GUI.

The points of the first post which I think are valid and should be changed are these:
  1. There's no feedback on how well or badly players are performing during the game. Substitutions are basically guess-work. Player ratings (starting at 6, and fluctuating) would be very much appreciated.
  2. Substitutions do not get "undone" after the game. It can be annoying having to constantly reset the teamsheet.
  3. No chance to review fitness and approve team selection - the match just "starts".
Point 3. however would be a feature that you can en-/disable in the configuration menu.

What are your biggest gripes?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

gunnar wrote:There's no feedback on how well or badly players are performing during the game
Not sure what you mean by this one. What would the performance of a player be in Bygfoot, according to you?
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

gyboth wrote:Not sure what you mean by this one. What would the performance of a player be in Bygfoot, according to you?
One could argue that the hot/cold streak already shows how a player will perform during the next match. I really don't know yet how to handle it, but it is a common functionality in most current soccer managers. I'll think about this some more and I'll get back to you then.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

I just have some problems with the concept of "player performance", since everything that happens in a match follows from basic probability evaluation. Even a hot streak simply increases the player's skill slightly and thus the probability that he scores etc. So, there is no performance, just numbers.
filipemb

Re:

Post by filipemb »

gunnar wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 pm This topic needs to keep going. What don't you like about the current GUI.

The points of the first post which I think are valid and should be changed are these:
  1. There's no feedback on how well or badly players are performing during the game. Substitutions are basically guess-work. Player ratings (starting at 6, and fluctuating) would be very much appreciated.
  2. Substitutions do not get "undone" after the game. It can be annoying having to constantly reset the teamsheet.
  3. No chance to review fitness and approve team selection - the match just "starts".
Point 3. however would be a feature that you can en-/disable in the configuration menu.

What are your biggest gripes?
I know it's a 12 years-old post but I believe I saw you @gunnar commenting on a post regarding Futzim, a braziian game with a great retro look (https://retromatn.itch.io/futzim).

I don't know the possibilities of doing so with Glade but it would be great to see Bygfoot with that GUI. I guess it would be as hard as porting the code to Godot engine.
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: User Interface Redesign

Post by gunnar »

Yes, that was me (https://mobile.twitter.com/retromatn/st ... 3764898818 for reference)

However porting Bygfoot to anything else than the c code it is right now, is nigh impossible.

I'm keeping an eye on the things produced by @tstellard

I'm still eyeing that full java rewrite (and I was making progress), but time, .......

I hoped working from home would give me more free time, but it's actually reverse.