game crashes after season

Here you can... report bugs. Open a new thread for each bug, please.

game crashes after season

Post by Guest »

Hi, im using latest 1.9.2-binary ver and after 30 weeks of season game crashes when im trying to go to next week.
error looks like this:
** (bygfoot:26476): WARNING **: file_find_support_file: file 'league_bolivia1_short.xml' not found.

(bygfoot:26476): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_contents: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

** (bygfoot:26476): WARNING **: xml_league_read: error reading file (null)

Naruszenie ochrony pamięci <---- that means "memory violation" in polish ;)

shall a post a save game as well ? or u know what it might be ?

oh, and im on FC4 2.6.13 kernel
Cheers
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: game crashes after season

Post by gyboth »

Anonymous wrote:shall a post a save game as well ? or u know what it might be ?
well, it sounds like it's reproducible, so: yes. but you can't post it, you have to send it to me (gyboth bygfoot com). which country are you playing?

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

Post by Guest »

ok , i'll send it asap 'couse i just came back home from work... so got to eat first :D
im playing Rozwoj Katowice (polish 3rd league :P )
Texugo

Post by Texugo »

I've the same problem too, after the 1st season ends the game crashes. I'm using a brazilian team under the national championship and running bygfoot under a debian-based local distro. The errors are almost the same...just the last one on memory violation i don't have it.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

do you also get the message about the bolivia file? it turned out that the bolivia file was named .xm, an 'l' was missing. unfortunately there was also a different bug which caused a crash later on; the correction involved a change in the save system, so the save file was unusable in the end.

do you use the deb package? then the bolivian file should be in /usr/share/bygfoot/support_files/definitions/short_leagues_south_america. please check it. and also check ~/.bygfoot-1.9/definitions/short_leagues_south_america/league_bolivia1.xml.

gyözö
Texugo

Post by Texugo »

Here follows my errors

** (bygfoot:17411): WARNING **: file_find_support_file: file 'league_netherlands1_short.xml' not found.

(bygfoot:17411): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_contents: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

** (bygfoot:17411): WARNING **: xml_league_read: error reading file (null)

Falha de segmentação (Translation -> Segmentation Fault)

I've saved the game as soon as I ended the last game of the season so as i click on the bus to finish off everything the game crashes.

And also a link to my saved game:
http://rapidshare.de/files/7268529/Goi__s.zip.html (might have to rename it Goiás.zip after downloading since i used an 'á' in the name of the file)

I'm also interested in knowing if thats a general status of the game or just a debian-package problem... the game uses a lot of ram and after that it goes to the swap. (it could just clean the old ram that it doesnt use anymore). Also once the game closes it doesnt clean the swap it uses so, like happened to me after playing for like 4hrs straight once i wanted to close the game it almost made the pc hang on me.. taking like 5-7 minutes to close and using like 900mb of my swap making a reboot extremely needed.

System Info: Athlon XP 2600+, 512mb Ram, Kernel 2.6.11-kanotix-7 KDE 3.4.2 and as i said.. a Debian-based local distro. Got the game via apt-get on the unstable repository.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Texugo wrote:Here follows my errors

** (bygfoot:17411): WARNING **: file_find_support_file: file 'league_netherlands1_short.xml' not found.

(bygfoot:17411): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_contents: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

ah, i found out why this happens. i forgot to change netherlands1_short to netherlands1 in some of the definitions :-P

i've corrected your save file, you can get it here: http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/tmp (i hope the file name is not all messed up). you should also change all occurrences of netherlands1_short in xml files in $HOME/.bygfoot-1.9/definitions to netherlands1 (most notably in $HOME/.bygfoot-1.9/definitions/brazil/cup_supercup_brazil_intercontinental.xml), otherwise you'll get the same error in new games you start.
I'm also interested in knowing if thats a general status of the game or just a debian-package problem... the game uses a lot of ram and after that it goes to the swap. (it could just clean the old ram that it doesnt use anymore). Also once the game closes it doesnt clean the swap it uses so, like happened to me after playing for like 4hrs straight once i wanted to close the game it almost made the pc hang on me.. taking like 5-7 minutes to close and using like 900mb of my swap making a reboot extremely needed.
you're the first one reporting this, so i guess it's specific to your system. try with a different windowmanager. i once got a report about memory consumption and it turned out it was the fault of some kde gtk-flavour.

you could also try out if you have the same problems with the binary package (which you don't have to install, so it's easy to try out).

gyözö

Post by Guest »

gyboth wrote:
Texugo wrote:Here follows my errors

ah, i found out why this happens. i forgot to change netherlands1_short to netherlands1 in some of the definitions :-P

i've corrected your save file, you can get it here: http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/tmp (i hope the file name is not all messed up). you should also change all occurrences of netherlands1_short in xml files in $HOME/.bygfoot-1.9/definitions to netherlands1 (most notably in $HOME/.bygfoot-1.9/definitions/brazil/cup_supercup_brazil_intercontinental.xml), otherwise you'll get the same error in new games you start.
Thanks a lot i will take a look into it and make sure these errors dont get repeated.
you're the first one reporting this, so i guess it's specific to your system. try with a different windowmanager. i once got a report about memory consumption and it turned out it was the fault of some kde gtk-flavour.
I will run some more tests but i found out that most of the VmSize used by the system while running Bygfoot is stored as a X.Org used VmSize so i will try some more times, might be because i am running a lot of stuff at the same time, might not. But again, sounds like a good opportunity to, even if its briefly fast, just take a look at the memory management of the game system. :wink: Also found some speech bugs, mostly all of them have been reported and i just need to dig myself into learning how to fix them.
you could also try out if you have the same problems with the binary package (which you don't have to install, so it's easy to try out).
gyözö
So far i've no other problems besides those and i'm kinda happy with the repository version so, in case of a bigger problem i can try that. Other than that its just a minor question, once i try to get the cvs version and finishes compiling it, i set it on the /usr/games directory but it shows an error about not finding the config file even though i do the -s $HOME/.byfoot-1.9/ option... might be a user-related problem anyways. Might try to fix it here myself :lol:

Other than that I'm really glad that such game was made since it has, by far, become one of my favorite, much better then many W32 similar programs. Version 1.9.3 looks really promising (took the liberty of looking at the screenshots, hope you dont mind).
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Anonymous wrote:Other than that its just a minor question, once i try to get the cvs version and finishes compiling it, i set it on the /usr/games directory but it shows an error about not finding the config file even though i do the -s $HOME/.byfoot-1.9/ option... might be a user-related problem anyways. Might try to fix it here myself :lol:
the cvs version isn't meant to be installed. it's meant to be run via ./src/bygfoot from the build directory. and it uses a different home dir, namely ~/.bygfoot-cvs, so as not to mess with release version settings.
Other than that I'm really glad that such game was made since it has, by far, become one of my favorite, much better then many W32 similar programs.
Version 1.9.3 looks really promising (took the liberty of looking at the screenshots, hope you dont mind).
oh, those screenies are linked to from here, too (in the development stages forum, '1.9.3 stages' thread). so it's not illegal to look at them :-)

gyözö
Texugo

Post by Texugo »

I started playing with the fixed save file( thanks a lot once again)...everything worked fine. While changing the entries on cup_supercup_brazil_intercontinental.xml i found an entry name portugal1_short... i changed it but i dont know if it was supposed to be changed too :P

Edit: Forgot to post this two things?
*Isn't there a table for 'Copa do Brasil'? :roll:
*Is someone already translating the game into portuguese-brazil? :D
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Texugo wrote:cup_supercup_brazil_intercontinental.xml i found an entry name portugal1_short... i changed it but i dont know if it was supposed to be changed too :P
oh, that was a bad idea. netherlands1_short is wrong, because there is a normal dutch definition and i deleted the short def. however, there isn't a normal portuguese def, only a short one, so that one's all right. change it back. (and you might have to edit your savegame, too, if you've started a game with portugal1 instead of portugal1_short in the file).
Edit: Forgot to post this two things?
*Isn't there a table for 'Copa do Brasil'? :roll:
the brazilian definition is a bit messy and not very truthful, but i'm working on a new one (which won't be perfect, either, because the whole south-american football system is messy itself). if you give me your email address or icq/jabber contact, you could help me making the new one ;-)
*Is someone already translating the game into portuguese-brazil? :D
there is someone, but he didn't have time to work on it for quite a few months. i'm going to ask him to send me his po file.

gyözö
Texugo

Post by Texugo »

oh, that was a bad idea. netherlands1_short is wrong, because there is a normal dutch definition and i deleted the short def. however, there isn't a normal portuguese def, only a short one, so that one's all right. change it back. (and you might have to edit your savegame, too, if you've started a game with portugal1 instead of portugal1_short in the file).
Any specific place on the save file where i should look? :)
the brazilian definition is a bit messy and not very truthful, but i'm working on a new one (which won't be perfect, either, because the whole south-american football system is messy itself). if you give me your email address or icq/jabber contact, you could help me making the new one Wink
I will PM you later with it, i'm not an 'know-all' on football but i might be able to help on some things =)
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Texugo wrote:Any specific place on the save file where i should look? :)
er... just unzip the save and 'grep portugal1'. should give you a cup_2014.xml' or so, which you then edit.
I will PM you later with it, i'm not an 'know-all' on football but i might be able to help on some things =)
at least you speak portuguese :roll:

gyözö