1.9.2 Windows version doesn't save

Here you can... report bugs. Open a new thread for each bug, please.
gunnar
Site Admin

1.9.2 Windows version doesn't save

Post by gunnar »

Exactly what it says in the title. The file last_changed shows the path to the zip file, however the zip does not exist in that place.

I tried creating an empty zip with the same name before saving, but it was deleted after pressing the save button.

I have Windows 98
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

sorry, i can't reproduce this. saving and loading works ok on my machine here (XP). maybe it's an issue with the zip program? do you have some other 'zip' in your path? and i guess the autosave feature doesn't work better, either, right?

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

There are no other zip programs in my path.

I haven't tried the autosave yet, but I assume that uses the same method.

However, I got bygfoot to save:
I created a zipfile containing 1 file (todo.txt) I saved a game with bygfoot (using the same name as the zipfile created above). Bygfoot created all it's xml file in the saves directory, however it was not zipped.

I dragged all xml's in the zipfile, and I was able to load the file. I assume this problem will only be reproducible with win 95/98/ME.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i really have no idea, sorry. you can try contacting me with icq or jabber (see my signature), maybe we can work it out somehow.

gyözö
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

I think I should be able to debug the problem a bit, if I can get this to compile on my windows. What do I need to get it compiled. I suspect I need mingw, msys, the libraries for GTK 2.6.4.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

gunnar wrote:I think I should be able to debug the problem a bit, if I can get this to compile on my windows. What do I need to get it compiled. I suspect I need mingw, msys, the libraries for GTK 2.6.4.
of course that would make it a lot easier to find the problem.

in this thread there are a few steps on how to compile under windows; if you lack any information, just post here (or there).

gyözö
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

I've found out what the problem is: too many commandline parameters.
But I didn't find a good solution yet. I tried by hardcoding <my zipfile>*.zip instead of adding all the files to the command line. That did create my saved zip file, but as not all the files are named .xml there were files missing ofcourse (plus hardcoding the zipfile doesn't sound like a good solution;-)). Then I tried using <the variable basename>*, but then it didn't create my zip file. I suppose it's got something to do with wildcard substitution.

I'll be looking deeper into that when I find the time at home.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

so, win98 doesn't allow as many command line parameters as are needed to zip all files?

gyözö
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

gyboth wrote:so, win98 doesn't allow as many command line parameters as are needed to zip all files?
exactly. Maybe you should try to zip yourself instead of using an external command.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

gunnar wrote:
gyboth wrote:so, win98 doesn't allow as many command line parameters as are needed to zip all files?
exactly. Maybe you should try to zip yourself instead of using an external command.
you mean using some compression library? i've been thinking about it, but it would be a bit more complicated than the current solution and would also introduce a new dependency.

maybe we can move the files into the archive one by one? i'm going to have a look at it tonight.

gyözö
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

gyboth wrote:maybe we can move the files into the archive one by one? i'm going to have a look at it tonight
I've tried on the command line, and it might work. I can do a quick check tonight if you want.
gyboth wrote:you mean using some compression library? i've been thinking about it, but it would be a bit more complicated than the current solution and would also introduce a new dependency.
There propably would be a dependency on zlib, but I think that is on most *nixes. But I agree that if adding one by one works, that would be good enough
Last edited by gunnar on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

gunnar wrote:I've tried on the command line, and it might work. I can do a quick check tonight if you want.
that'd be very nice.
There propably would be a dependency on zlib, but I think that is on most *nixes. But I agree that if adding one by one works, that would be good enough.
i've never used zlib, which is part of the problem :roll:

gyözö
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

gyboth wrote:that'd be very nice.
It does work on XP when I add them one at a time. But I wouldn't propose it as the option. It takes a long time already on XP, and there is command window popping up all the time. I think using wildcards might still be a better option, but I'm afraid they work differently on each platform.

Post by Guest »

gyboth wrote:i've never used zlib, which is part of the problem :roll:

gyözö
Maybe I will have a look, but now i'm busy with gstreamer code and I don't have enough time..
GeoVah

Post by GeoVah »

Anonymous wrote:
gyboth wrote:i've never used zlib, which is part of the problem :roll:

gyözö
Maybe I will have a look, but now i'm busy with gstreamer code and I don't have enough time..
It's me, i forgot to log in :oops:
Geovah - geovah@jabber.sk- (yes i'm french...)