Preview of the game in 2D

Discussions about the internal structures of the game. You can also post here if you'd like to know how things really work (and don't know how to read C code).
unclearmind

Preview of the game in 2D

Post by unclearmind »

Greetings !

Unfortunately I cannot offer any direct help cause my knowledge is
specialized in Java.

But I have recently wrote a 2D simulation of a football match in
Java which is pretty realistic.

If you are interested in this please let me know to send you the demo.

Regards
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Preview of the game in 2D

Post by gyboth »

unclearmind wrote:If you are interested in this please let me know to send you the demo.
thank you for your offer. i don't believe we're going to be able to use it, but having a look at it can't hurt anyone. if you have it online somewhere, you could post the link here like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://my.home-page.com/programs/my_football_demo.tar.bz2]Here it is![/url]
if you don't, just send it to me (gyboth bygfoot com) and i'm going to post it (if its size isn't 300 MB, that is :-) ).

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
dylansmrjones

Well...

Post by dylansmrjones »

Couldn't this be used for - let's say - highlights? A short animation every time something major happens? That ought to work and it would make it all a tad sexier ;)

/dylansmrjones
---copyright is no right---
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i didn't see unclearmind for quite some time :roll:

gyözö
Lomion

Post by Lomion »

The 2d game engine could be done either very quickly or it could be a real hell. It would be easy if the live game engine is already based on single player's actions, which means:
player[3] gets closer to goal by 0.1 size of the field
player[4] looks around and finds opponent_player[8]
player[4] changes direction and goes 0.1 north to avoid opponent_player[8]
player[4] looks around and finds player[7]
player[4] passes ball to player[7]
opponent_player[2] can catch the ball
opponent_player[2] catches the ball
and so on...
The you only have to display the internal data on screen using gdk_pixbuff, imlib2 or any library that can be linked with Gtk2.
If the game engine is still very different then you can only display animated pictures at some important times of the match and it would neither be easy to draw nor very useful imho.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Lomion wrote:It would be easy if the live game engine is already based on single player's actions, which means:
it isn't. and i'm absolutely against rewriting it for the sake of a bit of eye-candy.

gyözö
Lomion

Post by Lomion »

Not eye candy but realism. The closer you get to a real football match the better it is. That's why you added comments and colors to the live game window. On the other hand I do agree that the 2d is not really worth the pain of rewriting a system that seems to give good results already.