UEFA 2024/25 new format configurations

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
bygkicker

UEFA 2024/25 new format configurations

Post by bygkicker »

I created configurations for UEFA Champions League / Europa League / Conference League played under the new format 2024/25.

Download the zip at https://github.com/Xorejing/bygfoot-data , add and adapt to your local definitions, and enjoy.
will_the_canuck

Re: UEFA 2024/25 new format configurations

Post by will_the_canuck »

bygkicker wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:21 am I created configurations for UEFA Champions League / Europa League / Conference League played under the new format 2024/25.

Download the zip at https://github.com/Xorejing/bygfoot-data , add and adapt to your local definitions, and enjoy.
Hey bygkicker.

Although I myself am not using these definitions you created, I do want to thank you for bringing them to our attention that there is a new change out there and that the information about them is also out there. When looking at the access list and reading about the information, the former group stages are surely different, but doable, at least for the Champions League and Europa League. As for the Conference League, it can't really be coded the way they want it to be played as the only thing I can think of is having 9 groups of 4 teams each (for 36 teams in total) and have those 4 teams play against each other twice, so 6 games in total.

For the ones that do not already know, this is because for the group stage, now league stage, they want the Champions League and Europa League group stages to have each team play against 8 separate teams in a Swiss League style, and for the Conference League to play against 6 separate teams, which makes things a little complicated, coding wise. So for the Conference League, after they play 6 games with 9 groups of 4 teams each, we can have the top team in each group advance and then the next best 15, or see if we can do the next best 24 from the start. That's the only problem I can see with the new rules. The intent for the Champions League and Europa League can be coded the way they would like play to be played out, but the Conference League can not. This is the problem I'm seeing. So whereas this cycle of the UEFA tournaments can be coded to work, the previous tournaments from the 2021-24 cycle were not able to because of the Europa League qualifications in the Main Path.

I wonder what people think of this idea or the definitions created by bygkicker? I guess if I were to do it, I'd be selecting random teams for the title holders as well as the two European Performance Spots available. Other than that, everything should be straight forward. Oh well.

So again bygkicker, thanks for posting this and take care for now,

Will aka will_the_canuck

PS - Although I forgot to ask before, what version of bygfoot did you test these definitions on can I ask?
bygkicker

Post by bygkicker »

Hi Will,

many thanks for your response, and your thoughts.

I tried once to upload a zip, and failed. So now my additions are hosted at github. This means quite a hurdle - create an account (it's free) to download the zip. I'd appreciate if someone checks out the zip over there and posts a copy here.

You are right, the main change will happen in the group stage - but just the other way: the will be 4 groups with 9 teams playing each other, and only one round robin, meaning 8 games played in the group stage with random home/away. No problem for this aging code :) .

Main Paths / Champions Paths are merged, as in the latest 2021-2024 configuration available. And I had to move away from the uefa definitions in the selection round/round of 16 - the bygfoot code simply cannot handle these. So, no copyright problems looming imho.

Anything else I copied from the latest 2021-2024 configuration available. The cup winners are randomly selected. (Starting a new season, these winners are known in the misc.xml file. But there is no description, how to access these in the CL/EL/ECL cup definitions. LEAGUE1 and CUP1 are related to the country being played, iirc. Not to the international tournaments.)

The new format definitions are available for all european countries. Not published, for now: I changed all european country (country.xml) definitions to use this upcoming setup. I guess, this would allow for a major cleanup in the miscs definitions folder.

All the best,

Bygkicker
luk3Z

Post by luk3Z »

bygkicker wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:21 am I created configurations for UEFA Champions League / Europa League / Conference League played under the new format 2024/25.

Hey. Thnx for update few leagues. I have a question on GER example - in the game folder: .\bygfoot-2.3.5-mingw\support_files\definitions\europe\germany\league_germany1.xml we have some empty team names like this one [/code]<team_name>Germany 1</team_name>[/code]. I'm new here, so I don;t know if this is intentional or is this the result of the game changes, so community need to update all those databases (it is rather easy enough anyway) ? I'm also tried official_names.zip but it is from 2009, so it crases the current game version. Thanks for any reply.
bygkicker

Post by bygkicker »

Hey luk3Z,

I suppose you downloaded the zip from github, and extracted the content somewhere. (N.B. the zip link is hidden behind the green "code" dropdown button.)

To add the changes:

- Simply overwrite the contents of your .../definitions/europe/germany folder with the new stuff in the germany folder.
- add to your .../definitions/miscellanous/ folder the provided subfolders "uefa2024" and "fifa" .

It looks like the problem is located somewhere in your local install. I don't know anything about the windows install, but there should be an additional personal definitions folder somewhere below %USER%\local\app\data in your account. Take that one first to apply the updates.

If the ....\bygfoot-2.3.5-mingw\... path is the right one, which bygfoot looks up when starting, then perform the update steps there.

The league file you describe is not the one provided in the zip. You can browse the content of the zip online at the github page.

bygkicker
will_the_canuck

luk3Z wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:38 pm
Hey. Thnx for update few leagues. I have a question on GER example - in the game folder: .\bygfoot-2.3.5-mingw\support_files\definitions\europe\germany\league_germany1.xml we have some empty team names like this one [/code]<team_name>Germany 1</team_name>[/code]. I'm new here, so I don;t know if this is intentional or is this the result of the game changes, so community need to update all those databases (it is rather easy enough anyway) ? I'm also tried official_names.zip but it is from 2009, so it crases the current game version. Thanks for any reply.
Hello luk3Z.

I'll explain the reasoning behind the "empty" team names that you see in the version of bygfoot that tstellar produces. Basically, he got the updated definitions for the European countries from this forum, and the ones that he used were ones that the original poster used real team names with. So because real team names were used, for legal reasons, he wanted to anonymize the team names so as not to warrant any potential legal action. :) Thus, you see team names like "Germany 1" instead of "Bayern Munich", I'm guessing. So as he is creating a version that can be publicly downloaded, he wants to keep things as low key as possible. Now, if someone were to create a definition with real team names and share it around so that anyone can download it, that would be created by a user and would not really fall under any legal issues, I think, but still, it would be for private use and not mass distribution. But I could be wrong. If you as the user wanted to change the names from anonymous ones to real team names on your version, nothing would be wrong with that as you're just modifying your own version.

Now as for that "official_names.zip" file, I do believe it had an issue or two that was causing problems, one of them being the coding of the files of some of those German team names. The files have to be saved in a linux type format, maybe ANSI or something. I believe it was, but UTF-8 format wasn't working correctly I think, if I recall.

Anyways, hope that was helpful enough. Take care for now,

Will aka will_the_canuck
bygkicker

Post by bygkicker »

@tstellar

This is a bug in the 2.3.5 release. See https://gitlab.com/bygfoot/bygfoot/-/bl ... type=heads

Feel free to steal from my latest version of germany (2023/24) on github ;) .
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

What's the bug?
bygkicker

Post by bygkicker »

Hi tstellar,

Will explained the stuff, so no bug so far. The questions remain:
- where are the mapping files?
- where is the mapping tool for version 2.3.5?

It's no fun to play

<teams>
<team>
<team_name>Kosovo 1</team_name>
</team>
<team>
<team_name>Kosovo 2</team_name>
</team>

Token for international cups, I touched this issue earlier. The tokens could be introduced in the country.xml files. E.g.
<cup token="ECL1">uefa2024_ecl_rswitzerland</cup>
<cup token="EL1">uefa2024_el_rswitzerland</cup>
<cup token="CL1">uefa2024_cl_rswitzerland</cup>
would bind the tokens to a cup sid.

And the changed code could also handle LEAGUE1, CUP1 without implicit conventions.

Regards,

bygkicker
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

Ok, I can look into getting the mapping tool working again.

I don't quite understand what you are saying about the tokens, could you explain more.

Also, if you have any suggestions for making the definitions easier to write, let me know. I can add new xml tags if needed.
will_the_canuck

bygkicker wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:09 am It's no fun to play

<teams>
<team>
<team_name>Kosovo 1</team_name>
</team>
<team>
<team_name>Kosovo 2</team_name>
</team>
When I look at something like this and even your own definitions on your github site bygkicker, I wonder why is no one using the version I made. But when I look into it more, I realize that the version I made, which was a 3 tier version for Kosovo and playable, for the 2020-21 season, was only included in my European Definitions Update file that I created with the updated UEFA Champions League and Europa League files for 2020-21, and included it all as one big zipfile. I used the old definitions from version 2.3.2 of bygfoot, with some updates. I did post it back in March 2021, so some people may not know about the Kosovo definitions. :) So although it is older by now, I thought I made a good attempt at trying to be anonymous with the team names at least. I'll post it here in case you wanted to take a look.

Bye for now,

Will aka will_the_canuck

PS - You may have to modify the country_kosovo.xml file for updating the international files that you may be using, as they may not match what I was using.
Attachments
kosovo 2020-21.zip
(6.38 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

@bygkicker Why did you create a separate cup_uefa2024* file for each country and what version of bygfoot are you using?
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

Here is a python script that I've used to update the names: https://gitlab.com/tstellar/bygfoot/-/r ... type=heads

The first argument to the script is a 'mapping file' which looks like this:

Code: Select all

League: kosovo
NewName : Kosovo 1
NewName1 : Kosovo 2

League: germany
NewName2: Germany 1
The second argument is the directory containing the country definitions. An example usage would be

Code: Select all

python3 update-names.py names.txt support_files/definitions/europe/
Be sure to backup your definitions before you run this script just in case it makes a mistake. I usually run this script only on code that is in a git repository so I can easily roll back if need be.
bygkicker

Post by bygkicker »

Hi Will and tstellar,

thank you for your reactions.

Will, I found the UEFA 20/21 definitions on the forum. There were several zips, I'm afraid I missed yours. I didn't know about your Kosovo update, so I included an update of Kosovo (with real names, but only one playable layer) in my zip. Thank you for your attachment, I'll look into it.

For now I'll stay with version 2.3.2, I prefer the readable definitions. Updated and tested versions of germany, switzerland and liechtenstein (playable!) are included in my zip.

Tstellar, these cup_uefa2024* files are generated, from three template xml's (CL, EL, ECL resp.). 55 European countries, so there are 165 files, created with a click. :)
These templates are quite close to the UEFA definitions, with tags not known to bygfoot. Example:

<!-- 16 domestic cup winners from associations 40–55 -->
<choose_team>
<qualified_as>CW</qualified_as>
<choose_team_rank_lower>55</choose_team_rank_lower>
<choose_team_rank_upper>40</choose_team_rank_upper>
<number_of_teams>1</number_of_teams>
<randomly>1</randomly>
<generate>1</generate>
</choose_team>

CW means cup winner of the national cup. This is Liechtensteins special entry...

Thank you for the link to the python script. I'll take a look, too. Maybe you should update the old readme, and talk about your latest changes/achievements .

Topic "Tokens and Cups": For now the code can handle LEAGUE1 and CUP1, which refer to the domestic Premier League winner / FA cup winner of the last season, respectively.

Most of the last season is wiped out at the beginning of a new season. Some remnants are preserved in the misc.xml file (in the save zip). It only contains useful stuff in the last week of the season, and includes the cup winners of the season. Introducing new tokens (CL1, EL1, ECL1) to the code, the international cup definitions could refer to the CL winner of the last season, when the teams of the new seasons are selected, and the fixtures are (partially) written.
The same way as now CUP1 and LEAGUE1 are used.

I must concede, I think, it really is no fun to dive into 20 year old C code. So I don't expect any actions. But, thumbs up tstellar, there are now glade files included in the latest version! Maybe the code handling CUP1 and LEAGUE1 is expandable.

Best Regards

bygkicker

N.B. The bygfoot xml reader is really, really forgiving. ;)
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

Most of the last season is wiped out at the beginning of a new season. Some remnants are preserved in the misc.xml file (in the save zip). It only contains useful stuff in the last week of the season, and includes the cup winners of the season. Introducing new tokens (CL1, EL1, ECL1) to the code, the international cup definitions could refer to the CL winner of the last season, when the teams of the new seasons are selected, and the fixtures are (partially) written.
The same way as now CUP1 and LEAGUE1 are used.
I have fixed this in the code on gitlab. The game now saves the league and cup results for each season, so you don't need any special tokens, like CL1, EL1, ECL1, etc. You can just use the normal sid for the league/cup and it will take the winner from the previous year.

I've added some new tags as well. You can look at the latest version here: https://gitlab.com/bygfoot/bygfoot/-/tr ... type=heads