Strange number

Here you can... report bugs. Open a new thread for each bug, please.
buffonishche

Strange number

Post by buffonishche »

Subj. See screenshot. Bug?

I know. My English sux. Sorry, guys. I'm really stupid to learn langs. ^__^
will_the_canuck

Re: Strange number

Post by will_the_canuck »

Well buffonishche, I'll admit that before I saw that column of "YC" in your picture, I didn't even know what it was nor did I ever use it myself. Although I assume it stands for "yellow cards", I am a little curious as when looking at your screen, you have a number and then a number within brackets. When I tried that with my version of bygfoot, I just got a number. No number within brackets was shown in my "YC" column. Do you know what the numbers imply? Perhaps the number of yellow cards and within the brackets might be the number of something else??? Except for the players of Andrade Lorenzato and George Marinho, the rest of the players either have "YC" values of "0(0)" or "1(1)". George Marinho has a "YC" value of "0(1)" and Andrade Lorenzato has the weird number of "1(22869)" for their "YC" value. And as for the weird value, not really knowing what it is, yeah, I might think it was a bug too. Or at least some number that doesn't belong there. Oh well.

Now beyond that, I do have some comments and questions to ask you about this game in particular. :) So, here I go...
1) Not really knowing what the numbers represent, do you feel it is necessary to have the "YC" column visible? I ask since if you are within striking distance of hitting the yellow card limit, you should see a yellow card show up symbolizing that if you get one more yellow card, you will get banned for the following game because of yellow card accumulation. It will show up in the same column where you see the "fire" and "ice cold" symbols.

2) On your team, where's your second goalie??? Did you sell him or something?? It really does help to have a second goalie, just in case you need him. :)

3) In your contract column, I see the players that have contracts for over 4 years are mostly older players, with wages that are normally greater than 1 percent of their value. That's clearly not a strategy I would follow. Did you offer those players those higher wages for greater than 4 years, when they likely had less than 2 years left on their contracts or what? Just wondering.

4) As I now normally play with the option of "Player attribute precision" set to "2", it is hard for me to look at figures like this which don't have any decimal points. Check it out and try it out. You'll see that it will make a difference. It may seem odd at first but it will help give a clearer image on some of the players' info like skill and age.

5) As I can tell you're playing with the Brazil definitions here, your bygfoot client looks a little different than mine with regards to some of the images and all. So what version of bygfoot are you using can I ask? I have the same version of 2.3.2, but I'm using the Ubuntu version which I got from the Ubuntu Repositories, way back when I had Lubuntu 16.04 installed on this computer, if I'm not mistaken.

6) And lastly, if you select your scout to be the "best" type, you'll see more information about the players on the transfer list. Yes, it will cost you more, but it will be beneficial if you buy players on the transfer list at all. Also, the players on your own team will be better evaluated when you train them too.

So that's it for now. The error you found was new to me as honestly, I never used that option before as I would kind of feel it to be unnecessary, but also didn't really know about it either. :) And as for the other questions and comments, well, I guess you could say I'm just curious. Bye for now,

Will aka will_the_canuck
buffonishche

Post by buffonishche »

Ok, my dear Will. I try to answer. But remember my English is bad and I express thoughts not clearly.

1. I just love various statistics. When I see various numbers, I'm happy. :-) More numbers - more joy for me. I enabled this columne deliberately.

2. Yes, I sold him. He was eating my money. He was 30 years old and had same skills as Junior Baiano Surcin. I played half season with one goalie. As I understand, goalie can't have injure or red/yellow cards. Right? Later in youth academy registered young goalie(see screenshot). Now he is my second goalie, which I use when my main goalie tired.

3. To be honest I not remember why I did it. When I start played this try, I sold some players and I re-offer new contracts to other. What i had to do? Sold all the players and buy low skills players with low wages? Or what other?

4. Ok. Thanks for suggestion. I try it.

5. I just wrote in terminal 'apt get install bygfoot'.
ringo@qwerty:~$ apt show bygfoot
Package: bygfoot
Version: 2.3.2-2+b1
Priority: optional
Section: games
Source: bygfoot (2.3.2-2)
Maintainer: Elías Alejandro Año Mendoza <ealmdz@gmail.com>
Installed-Size: 820 kB
Depends: bygfoot-data (= 2.3.2-2), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.14), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.11), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.9), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), zip
Homepage: http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/
Tag: game::strategy, interface::graphical, interface::x11, role::program,
uitoolkit::gtk, use::gameplaying, x11::application
Download-Size: 297 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
Description: football (a.k.a soccer) management game
Bygfoot allows you to manage a team by training the players, buying and
selling them, contracting loans, maintaining the stadium, etc. You can be
promoted or relegated, even become a champion if you're a skillful manager.
You can customise Bygfoot by writing your own country definition files or
by creating your own team definition files.

ringo@qwerty:~$ uname -a
Linux qwerty 4.9.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.272-1 (2021-06-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux
6. Yes I know it. I choose "bad" type scout when I don't need him. And choose "best" when I need see more attributes etc. it is a bad idea?

About numbers within brackets. I don't know why I have it. I try new game and no brackets. I thought that is cup and league cards. Now I see that is mistake.
I know. My English sux. Sorry, guys. I'm really stupid to learn langs. ^__^
will_the_canuck

Post by will_the_canuck »

buffonishche wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:11 am Ok, my dear Will. I try to answer. But remember my English is bad and I express thoughts not clearly.

1. I just love various statistics. When I see various numbers, I'm happy. :-) More numbers - more joy for me. I enabled this column deliberately.
As question one was about the "YC" column, I'm guessing it relates to "yellow cards" as it is selectable as the option of "cards", so that makes sense. Likely the numbers that we talked about "#(#)" represents the number of cards received in the given competition "#" (either in league play or a cup competition) and the total number of cards received in all competitions "(#)" by that particular player. Hey, if seeing this information makes you happy then good for you. :)
2. Yes, I sold him. He was eating my money. He was 30 years old and had same skills as Junior Baiano Surcin. I played half season with one goalie. As I understand, goalie can't have injure or red/yellow cards. Right? Later in youth academy registered young goalie(see screenshot). Now he is my second goalie, which I use when my main goalie tired.
Ah...buffonishche, goalies CAN get injured during game play. It does happen and sometimes you will see other teams with their goalies injured. It may not happen as often but yes, it CAN happen. :) Depending on the schedule of your games, having a second goalie as a back up can help when you need to rest your primary goalie so that his fitness levels can get better after playing so much. Though for yellow or red cards, I don't believe the goalies can earn any yellow or red cards. Just the way the game is programmed. But don't quote me on that. :) And even in real life, all teams will have a back up goalie on the substitute bench during the game, just because you never know when they might be needed.

As for your young goalie, it is nice to have a back up and one that may eventually become your primary goalie, as his skill level increases. At least one time I do recall having 4 goalies on my team...two older goalies over 18 and two younger goalies under 18 that I was waiting until they were skilled enough to take over for my older goalies. Yeah. Having more than one goalie is a benefit I'll say, just in case you need to rest him or such, unless you use your training sessions for relaxation and resting your players to help them recover their fitness levels.
3. To be honest I not remember why I did it. When I start played this try, I sold some players and I re-offer new contracts to other. What i had to do? Sold all the players and buy low skills players with low wages? Or what other?
Well, as this question relates to the value of contracts that you had, I'll say that you can follow any manner of which you choose. As you were playing the team of Juventude I believe, they start off in tier 2, not tier 3. As I usually start off in the lowest tier, my strategy may play differently than if I started off in a higher tier, but I would still follow the same strategy, for wherever it would lead. I guess the advantage of starting off in the lowest tier is that you can't be relegated if you end up in the last to near last spot, whereas if you were in a higher tier, you could risk getting relegated.

The point of my strategy is to become a strong team financially, and build for the future. To do that, you have to look at your financial position and deem what is important. In the first season, the main goal is to work on building up your stadium capacity so that your attendance levels can eventually increase, which in turn will increase your revenue. Additionally, I like to switch my youth academy investment from the default of 5 percent to 25 percent of revenue from attendance and my sponsor contract, every week. Just changing the youth investment alone will affect your costs greatly in the beginning since when your team is first created, your stadium is built with just enough capacity to cover your current wages with the 5 percent youth academy cost from the attendance and share of the sponsor contract. You need to raise funds and one way is to use your assets, which in this case would be your players, and sell them to raise your available funds so that you can do what you want with it. And when you sell your players, the funds that would have been needed to pay them is no longer there. And having 1 or 2 youths to use in the meantime from your youth academy will fill the slight void. I like using youth academy players as they cost less and after proper training, can be just as good or better than the players you are selling. As well, as they cost less, you can buy more expensive players from the transfer list if wanted.

Now as for the low skills players with low wages, that kind of relates to lower skilled players who are younger but also have much higher etals, so that after training them, their values will increase along with their skill levels, but you will still be paying them lower wages, until they need to renew their contracts. It is a means to save money. :) As well, as I train my team quite frequently, the younger players are the ones that will likely increase their skills the most when training, compared to someone who is older, like 27 yrs and older. Although I guess that when you train your team as often as I do, the players may prematurely age and their skills may decrease sooner than normal. This is why normally on my team, I don't have many players over the age of 28 or 29 normally, unless those players are very good and still useful to me.

So getting back to your response, I'll say that my strategy works for me. It may not seem right to everyone but then everyone can choose how they wish to play the game. As for the contracts, usually the older players, like 26 and above, may not change their skill levels much to warrant offering them higher valued multi-year contracts. The younger players whose skill levels are smaller compared to their etal levels have the greater potential to increase their value, and thus the ones I will usually consider offering longer term contracts to lock them up at a cheaper price since when they increase their skill levels and their values greatly increase, to renew their contracts will cost me a lot more than when they were younger and less skilled. It is just a strategy I employ. :)
4. Ok. Thanks for suggestion. I try it.
As this question related to the "Player attribute precision" option and setting its value to "2", if you tried it, was I right? :)
5. I just wrote in terminal 'apt get install bygfoot'.
ringo@qwerty:~$ apt show bygfoot
Package: bygfoot
Version: 2.3.2-2+b1
Installed-Size: 820 kB
Download-Size: 297 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

ringo@qwerty:~$ uname -a
Linux qwerty 4.9.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.272-1 (2021-06-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Well, I will say that when I tried the "apt show bygfoot" command on my computer, I got slightly different results, but otherwise, they were similar enough. The big difference is that it looks like you are using Debian, which would or could account for why your version is slightly different from my version, visually speaking with regards to those few icons. As I'm using a flavour of Ubuntu, we're using different operating systems and thus the sources have different addresses too. So no biggie. Slightly different but also very similar. Although I noticed that my download-size was "293 kB" compared to your "297 kB". A little odd I thought but oh well. Still interesting though.
6. Yes I know it. I choose "bad" type scout when I don't need him. And choose "best" when I need see more attributes etc. it is a bad idea?
Personally, I keep my scout on "best", even when I don't have a sponsor contract. If you feel that the financial savings are worth it, then by all means you are free to do it. It just isn't something I would see myself doing to be honest.
About numbers within brackets. I don't know why I have it. I try new game and no brackets. I thought that is cup and league cards. Now I see that is mistake.
Well, seeing how the brackets are used with the games, shots, and goals, I assume now that they represent the values of yellow cards earned in the current competition and within the brackets would be yellow cards earned in all competitions. You never know. It just might be the way the Debian client is compiled that is allowing it to show up. As I said, I never got that kind of view in my client, from what I know, but for now, it doesn't matter that much.

Anyways, I think that is all for now.

Will aka will_the_canuck
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

This looks like it could be a symptom of a bug that I fixed in my branch: https://github.com/tstellar/bygfoot/com ... fcd99c5787