Question about LEAGUE1 and CUP1

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
tstellar

Question about LEAGUE1 and CUP1

Post by tstellar »

In cup definitions, what is the advantage of using LEAGUE1 and CUP1 for the sid instead of using the league or cup name (e.g. england1)?
billys_boots

Re: Question about LEAGUE1 and CUP1

Post by billys_boots »

As I understand it, using <LEAGUE1> tag means the current champions of the league you are playing is used in international competitions, like the UEFA Champions League. The same applies to <CUP1> or <CUP2> tags where <CUP1> usually refers to the national cup and <CUP2> is the national League Cup, although this is not set in stone and depends on where the tag for that cup is placed in the country file.

I have found that leaving <LEAGUE1> or <CUP1> tag out of a UEFA definition means the teams from the league you are playing are omitted even though the country <choose_team> code is present.
will_the_canuck

Re: Question about LEAGUE1 and CUP1

Post by will_the_canuck »

tstellar wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:25 am In cup definitions, what is the advantage of using LEAGUE1 and CUP1 for the sid instead of using the league or cup name (e.g. england1)?
Hello tstellar. To answer your question, it basically comes down to a simple answer. If you were to use the references of LEAGUE1 and/or CUP1 in a cup file definition, it would potentially allow you to reuse that cup definition for multiple country definitions. All you would need to do is reference the same filename given to that cup file and it could apply to as many different country definitions that its parameters would apply to. Now if you were to use instead a specific league or cup sid within a particular cup file definition, that cup file would then only be specific to that particular country definition and could most likely not be used by another country definition, in its current form.

So tstellar, hopefully this was a sufficient answer to your question.
billys_boots wrote: As I understand it, using <LEAGUE1> tag means the current champions of the league you are playing is used in international competitions, like the UEFA Champions League. The same applies to <CUP1> or <CUP2> tags where <CUP1> usually refers to the national cup and <CUP2> is the national League Cup, although this is not set in stone and depends on where the tag for that cup is placed in the country file.

I have found that leaving <LEAGUE1> or <CUP1> tag out of a UEFA definition means the teams from the league you are playing are omitted even though the country <choose_team> code is present.
Now onto billys_boots' reply. As it appears he is referencing some files that I worked on, his answer is slightly wrong and can use a little more explanation. In reference to the <LEAGUE1> tag, it goes along with the <start_idx> and <end_idx> tags to select any number of teams from the first league file listed in the country_sid.xml file for the country definition you are playing. So for example, if you were playing the English definitions, the league files from the country_england.xml file in order would be: england1, england2, england3, etc.. The <LEAGUE1> tag would make reference to the first league file listed in the <league> section/area, which in this case would be england1. So any team selections you may make with the <start_idx> and <end_idx> tags would be taken from england1, in this example. You could have the top 2 teams or the bottom 2 teams. It all depends on which teams you wanted to select.

As for the tag of <CUP1>, yes, it is meant to reference the national cup, of which the winner(s) could be selected for international competitions. If someone were to list the national cup in another position than the first position in the <cups> section of the country_sid.xml file, then the <CUP1> reference would fail in its intent.

Now as for billys_boots mentioning that when he left out the <LEAGUE1> and/or <CUP1> tags from the UEFA definitions, he is referencing the new UEFA cup competition files that I posted, since they were meant as the master files to build upon and not to be used in their current form, so to speak. They are done in a manner which would use randomly selected teams from each country definition whenever they were used. Also, they are basically a generic copy that would apply to all UEFA countries but also apply to none, since they are not specific to any of the countries and don't call upon any specifically placed teams, as right now, everything is just randomly selected. They would have to be changed and modified to apply to each UEFA country to work properly, although it appears as billys_boots is finding that task a little harder than I thought he would. I will likely have to do it myself although there are a few things that I will have to consider before doing it, like what to give for average talent values, as I feel that is important and I may have to reconsider my use of the FIFA rankings and will likely have to use a combination of the UEFA values and the FIFA values to come up with an appropriate value for the top tiers for the countries.

As I have created the files with a file structure in mind, following that file structure would be in line with the existing UEFA cup files that currently exist within bygfoot. But now as there are additional countries to add that were not in the original UEFA cup files, allotments must be made to accommodate them, like figuring out what to rate their average talent values for starters. Anyways, you get the idea.

Hope this response helps.

Will aka will_the_canuck