new logo

Wishes get here when they grow up.
vector

new logo

Post by vector »

comments please
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: new logo

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:comments please
not bad, but i'd like to have the Bygfoot more dominating. not because i'm vain, i only like to be able to read the name at one glance. the 'bygfoot' on the socks is great, though :lol:

another question is, where to put the logo. as a game icon (for desktops) it's too big. did you think of the website, or of the startup window?

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
atd

Post by atd »

nice logo.
attack is the best way to defend ~~ Arne Deprez
-----------------
"De omnis Belgae fortissimi sunt."(Of all these, the Belgians are the bravest.) ~~ Julius Caesar
vector

Post by vector »

thanks guys
ill keep fiddlin, it wasnt an end result.
I personally wasnt happy with the text at all.

the R on manager for eg. I like to leave things over night and look at them fresh, you tend to get "blinker vision" otherwise. "one eyed", "biased". "cant see the wood for the trees" etc

bygfoot bigger?
ok

here is my thougth process.
1)need to indicate within a second of looking what it is.
so BAll and legs
see the word football wouldnt tell you that. as it could be grid iron, rugby, aussie rules..etc
so with ball and feet showing, anyone who is interested in football/soccer is "grabbed" immeadiately

2) so its football, what about football
manager... hmm not sure how to graphic this and keep it looking interesting so text will do. by now the person has stopped the initial glance and is reading text anyway
3) whats it called
now this is interesting. you can either make it really bold and stand out so people remember it or you can make it just a little diffcult and then people remember it because they had to hunt for it. Im talking milliseconds of course.
4) the other problem with text is the shrink factor. ie it dont shrink well and cant be read.
so one really needs to have a picture or "outline" thats recognisable. Its the outline that is "maintained" when its shrunk

and thus ends the lesson on graphic design according to vector. :wink:
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

gosh i can waffle., i didnt even answer your question.
another question is, where to put the logo. as a game icon (for desktops) it's too big. did you think of the website, or of the startup window?
yeah i was thinking web site and startup window.
i like the current. clean ball as the icon.?
it shrinks/expands well and is always recognisable.
i dont even like having the bygfoot text in the ball. when shrunk it just looks wierd,

open to suggestions tho

the ICON what ever it ends up being needs to be the same in these places?:
desktop
top corner of the game windows

i was thinking of a ball with a boot on it. instantly indicating soccer and the boot ontop indicating "im in controll". I guess i could put bygfoot text inside and thats the desktop. Leaving just the ball only as game window?

on my hi res screen the game window ball is very small. thus has to be a simple. shape
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:1)need to indicate within a second of looking what it is.
so BAll and legs
see the word football wouldnt tell you that. as it could be grid iron, rugby, aussie rules..etc
so with ball and feet showing, anyone who is interested in football/soccer is "grabbed" immeadiately
sounds sensible.
2) so its football, what about football
manager... hmm not sure how to graphic this and keep it looking interesting so text will do. by now the person has stopped the initial glance and is reading text anyway
hum.. maybe a table in the background? or a chap looking like a typical manager, with trenchcoat or so?
3) whats it called
now this is interesting. you can either make it really bold and stand out so people remember it or you can make it just a little diffcult and then people remember it because they had to hunt for it. Im talking milliseconds of course.
i opt for the first one. splash screens and such are mostly ignored anyway, so users might never notice the text if it's hard to find.
i like the current. clean ball as the icon.?
it shrinks/expands well and is always recognisable.
i dont even like having the bygfoot text in the ball. when shrunk it just looks wierd
yes, the text becomes too small. a boot or a 'B' or maybe 'BYG' would be better. or nothing.
the ICON what ever it ends up being needs to be the same in these places?:
desktop
top corner of the game windows
i'd say let's keep things simple and have two images at most: an icon for the desktop and when the main window gets minimized, and one for the startup window.

gyözö
Nerval

:)

Post by Nerval »

Background pic : mine, several years ago I took this shot in San Fernando Valley, California.

Background pic : Wikipedia Commons (PD)

Background pic : Wikipedia Commons (PD)

:)
mrsmola

Post by mrsmola »

Which one is your favorite?

Next weekend I'm going to release an new unstable version 2.1.1. For version 2.1.2 we can change or add some new logos or backgrounds.

At the moment I'm searching for backgrounds (without copyrights, free to use) with empty stadiums, football grounds, soccer tables, fixtures with results etc.

I think we could have some backgrounds (dyed in the same color) in each screen.

Mark
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

mrsmola wrote:Which one is your favorite?
i like the first one best, however, i'm not sure where you'd like to put the picture. into the splash window? somewhere else? add to the progressbar pics? what i don't like is the font type.. i don't know...
Next weekend I'm going to release an new unstable version 2.1.1. For version 2.1.2 we can change or add some new logos or backgrounds.
i'd advise you to make a 2.0.2 release as well, with all the bugs fixed that were fixed in the unstable branch (except those that only existed in unstable). it's just good release practise to keep on improving the stable branch and making it more stable. nobody'll keep a program that's unstable, no matter how cool its features are.
I think we could have some backgrounds (dyed in the same color) in each screen.
a nice idea, if it doesn't interfere too much with readability and usability. you'll just have to try out and see, i suppose.

gyözö
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

8) Actually, I like the design of the letters best and think a PNG of them with a transparent background would be the most valuable; that way the program can substitute backgrounds at will.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

chunter wrote:8) Actually, I like the design of the letters best and think a PNG of them with a transparent background would be the most valuable; that way the program can substitute backgrounds at will.
i always suspected americans have no taste, now i have proof :-D

gyözö
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I much prefer the lettering - I'm from the UK. It's more contemporary and stylish IMHO.