Crash when saving S_67_W10

Here you can... report bugs. Open a new thread for each bug, please.
ursus_arctos

Crash when saving S_67_W10

Post by ursus_arctos »

Hello Gunnar
Below is just the end of such a large file so that I could not attach it. Is it enough or do you need the complete file?

Have a nice day

#1995 0x5f73746174735f6e in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#1996 0x735f65756761656c in ?? ()
#1997 0x302d32345f746174 in ?? ()
#1998 0x7561206c6d782e37 in ?? ()
#1999 0x445f657661736f74 in ?? ()
Title: bygfoot crashed with SIGSEGV in __memmove_avx_unaligned_erms()
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
_MarkForUpload: True
Have a good day, or better still, have the best ever
billys_boots

Re: Crash when saving S_67_W10

Post by billys_boots »

What definition & team are you playing and what is the full file name of the saved file?
ursus_arctos

Post by ursus_arctos »

Below is the start of the file. The files name is _usr_games_bygfoot.1000.crash

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
Date: Sat Nov 23 00:04:23 2019
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/games/bygfoot
ExecutableTimestamp: 1522757764
ProcCmdline: ason_stats_league_stat_10-19.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___job_teams.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_48-14.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_64-12.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_08-11.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_02-03.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_04-16.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_56-02.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_33-18.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_18-13.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_56-08.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_40-18.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_32-06.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_59-16.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_63-06.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_43-04.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_05-01.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_31-21.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___league_1014_fixtures.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___jobs.xml\ autos
ProcCwd: /home/jan/.bygfoot-2.3.2/saves
will_the_canuck

Post by will_the_canuck »

ursus_arctos wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm Below is the start of the file. The files name is _usr_games_bygfoot.1000.crash
Hello ursus_arctos. When I look at what you wrote, I think damn, that's ONE LONG game you played there. 67 seasons played, or rather you played 66 complete seasons and are on your 67th. Still, sounds quite impressive. Have you been playing the same team for all 67 seasons? Just asking.

Now when I look at this report you posted and even the previous post on this one, what it all means makes little sense to me. Oh well. But I still have some thoughts and questions I'd like to ask.
The above tells me that you are using Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit edition. Myself, I'm using Lubuntu 18.04 64-bit edition when I play bygfoot. Now when you play the game, do you run it from a terminal window or do you just select the game from the menu option? I ask this since if you run it from the terminal window by simply typing "bygfoot", it will load the game up and then provide you with any feedback like error messages, especially if the game crashes or such.
ProcCmdline: ason_stats_league_stat_10-19.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___job_teams.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_48-14.xml\
Ok. From the above, it looks like you have autosave set up to basically autosave the file every so often. So, after it crashed this time, for whatever reason, did you try the autosaved file to see if when you get to the point where it crashed, if it repeats itself and crashes again? I know playing a few rounds that you already played sucks but it might help to figure out what went wrong. I guess I'm just wondering if the crash was random or at a fixed point where it will crash no matter what?

So, with the above, if you still have the saved file that was autosaved before the game crashed, could you maybe try to play it again but launch bygfoot from the terminal so that if it does crash again, it will give you an error message which would hopefully be more informative, in less words. :)

Also, since it may appear that the autosave may have created the crash, could you tell us what you were doing or what the game was doing when it crashed? Cause if it was in the process of an autosave and it crashed, that would be something different most likely.

Since I can't think of much else to add other than try the autosave file and see what happens, but launch it through the terminal to get feedback, I'll have to wait and see what happens when you try it again.

bye for now,

will_the_canuck

PS - How big is the autosaved file anyways? Just wondering.
ursus_arctos

Post by ursus_arctos »

will_the_canuck wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 am
ursus_arctos wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm Below is the start of the file. The files name is _usr_games_bygfoot.1000.crash
Hello ursus_arctos. When I look at what you wrote, I think damn, that's ONE LONG game you played there. 67 seasons played, or rather you played 66 complete seasons and are on your 67th. Still, sounds quite impressive. Have you been playing the same team for all 67 seasons? Just asking.

I always play long games. My thing is to bring up the worst team to the top and then take take on another bad team and do the same thing. I have another game in the english League that now is up to season 124

Now when I look at this report you posted and even the previous post on this one, what it all means makes little sense to me. Oh well. But I still have some thoughts and questions I'd like to ask.
The above tells me that you are using Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit edition. Myself, I'm using Lubuntu 18.04 64-bit edition when I play bygfoot. Now when you play the game, do you run it from a terminal window or do you just select the game from the menu option? I ask this since if you run it from the terminal window by simply typing "bygfoot", it will load the game up and then provide you with any feedback like error messages, especially if the game crashes or such.

I will try that
ProcCmdline: ason_stats_league_stat_10-19.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___job_teams.xml\ autosave_Domarn_Sweden_Karlstad_U._S67_W10_01___season_stats_league_stat_48-14.xml\
Ok. From the above, it looks like you have autosave set up to basically autosave the file every so often. So, after it crashed this time, for whatever reason, did you try the autosaved file to see if when you get to the point where it crashed, if it repeats itself and crashes again? I know playing a few rounds that you already played sucks but it might help to figure out what went wrong. I guess I'm just wondering if the crash was random or at a fixed point where it will crash no matter what?

So, with the above, if you still have the saved file that was autosaved before the game crashed, could you maybe try to play it again but launch bygfoot from the terminal so that if it does crash again, it will give you an error message which would hopefully be more informative, in less words. :)

I have tried what you suggest above to no avail I,m afraid

Also, since it may appear that the autosave may have created the crash, could you tell us what you were doing or what the game was doing when it crashed? Cause if it was in the process of an autosave and it crashed, that would be something different most likely.

I was just going to the next week

Since I can't think of much else to add other than try the autosave file and see what happens, but launch it through the terminal to get feedback, I'll have to wait and see what happens when you try it again.

bye for now,

will_the_canuck

2.3 Mb

Have a Nice Day
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

Just to add to will_the_canuck post, would it be possible to add the last autosaved file. the one before the crash? It might be helpful to try and reproduce the crash on a different system, I also run Bygfoot on a Linux machine, and if the crash can't be repeated there might be information in your game settings that might throw some light on the issue.
will_the_canuck

Post by will_the_canuck »

ursus_arctos wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm
will_the_canuck wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 am
I always play long games. My thing is to bring up the worst team to the top and then take take on another bad team and do the same thing. I have another game in the english League that now is up to season 124
Holy crap. You have a game that is up to season 124??? Now that is huge. I wonder if you take the jobs that are offered or go to the job postings and select a position from there, when it is time to change teams? Also, do you only stay in the same country or do you switch countries when playing? By that I mean if you start off in England, might you switch to a team from say Sweden, or just stay only in England as that was the country that you started off in?
It looks like you have autosave set up to basically autosave the file every so often. So, after it crashed this time, for whatever reason, did you try the autosaved file to see if when you get to the point where it crashed, if it repeats itself and crashes again? I know playing a few rounds that you already played sucks but it might help to figure out what went wrong. I guess I'm just wondering if the crash was random or at a fixed point where it will crash no matter what?

I have tried what you suggest above to no avail I,m afraid
Could you explain this one a bit more as what happened, I'm not quite sure as there were multiple options in my question. Although from my question to your answer, it sounds like you tried to run the autosaved file again and hopefully run bygfoot through the terminal. Is this correct?

Secondly, if you were able to run the saved file, your point of "to no avail" is confusing. So, here are options:
a) The game was able to load but after getting back to week 10, the game crashed as it did prior.
b) The game was unable to work after loading and crashed the game before you were able to start.
c) The game was able to load and after week 10, the game played normally and didn't crash, thus you were unable to reproduce the error.
d) For whatever reason, you were unable to get bygfoot to start through the terminal program.
I was just going to the next week
Ok. So again, it seems like you were doing nothing out of the ordinary and the system was doing its thing. It may have crashed during the autosave then. In your first post, you mentioned this: "Title: bygfoot crashed with SIGSEGV in __memmove_avx_unaligned_erms()". I did a web search on "SIGSEGV in __memmove_avx_unaligned_erms()" and it lead to pages that might imply that it was a memory fault, a segmentation fault. So the crash in question may have been a random thing. We'll have to wait until you run your test again to see what happens or if you were to upload your saved file, we can try it ourselves and see if we can reproduce the error, if at all. Although if it might be a memory error, it might be related to the autosave feature as it appears the autosave may have had a hand in triggering it, since it was listed in the crash report for some reason.
2.3 Mb
2.3 megabytes???? Damn. That is a rather large file to process. But then it has all the season information for 66 complete seasons for all those leagues and all, so it makes a little sense. As for your 124 season English file, I would suspect it too is maybe as large, or even up to 4 megabytes in size, even though it has less leagues and teams in it than in Sweden, I'm guessing. When I consider the size of the saved file and the inclusion of the autosave information in the crash report, I'm thinking it might be a memory issue that more than likely was related to the autosave feature on your computer, which randomly crashed the program. Because if you did nothing other than advance to the following week, a crash after all those completed seasons seems very random to me, unless you factor in the information on the system autosaving the file and the size of the file in general. Oh well. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this one.

So on that note ursus_arctos, I'll let you get to your testing and get back to us at your leisure.

will_the_canuck
ursus_arctos

Post by ursus_arctos »

If I start in a specific country I stay there and when I switch team I reload until I find the worst team possible because I want the challenge to enhance it, the first 2 or 3 seasons can be very difficult but then it rolls on. The first thing I want to accomplish is to form two complete teams, 24 players in all and then have an A-team and a B-team. The A-team must be good enough to win all home matches and funny enough, the B-team is meant to lose the away matches. This makes it possible to firstly build a strong A-team and finally when I have players with highest possible Etal in both teams I run a lot of training camps when I start to climb up the leagues.

I havn't tried to run through the terminal yet but I will.

Actually the files in the English leagues after 124 seasons are only 1.2 Mb.

All the Best
John
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

Segmentation faults, if it turns out to be just that, seems to occur more often lately while running Bygfoot in Linux. I think this is because when Bygfoot was written it used GTK2 which has evolved considerably since Bygfoot was written. It happens to me and is a minor annoyance but resuming the game using the last saved game usually clears the error.

I am also impressed by the 66 seasons you have played in the Swedish league and more so the 124 seasons of your English game.
ursus_arctos

Post by ursus_arctos »

Segmentation faults, if it turns out to be just that, seems to occur more often lately while running Bygfoot in Linux. I think this is because when Bygfoot was written it used GTK2 which has evolved considerably since Bygfoot was written. It happens to me and is a minor annoyance but resuming the game using the last saved game usually clears the error.

I am also impressed by the 66 seasons you have played in the Swedish league and more so the 124 seasons of your English game
The English game is up to 127 seasons now, I think that my way to play the game is the reason that I play so many seasons.

Thank you for your help, I will try to back a few matches and see if it works then.

All the Best
John