Would you like to participate in the forum?

Here we can talk about the forum itself.
will_the_canuck

Would you like to participate in the forum?

Post by will_the_canuck »

Hello there. Would you like to be able to post to this forum so that you can have your voice heard? Maybe your questions answered? Or maybe give feedback on something posted here or answer one of the polls asked? Well, if so, there are likely two ways that can happen: the likely fat chance in hell way or the better chance you'll get accepted and approved way. :)

With the first way, that being the "fat chance in hell" way, maybe the administrators of this forum may reopen the forum to allow posts by guests, or maybe allow guests to post but require the posts to be approved by an administrator first. As per this post (http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/forum/vi ... ?f=9&t=487), postings from guests were disabled because of spamming from some of those same guests. So, that's why people have to register now to post, if they want to post that is.

As for the second way, that being the "better chance you'll get accepted and approved" way, according to this post (http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/forum/vi ... ?f=9&t=614), you'll have to register first but after that, you'll have to e-mail an administrator to approve your registration before you're allowed to post to this forum. The administrators are the people with their names in red on the forums. And even though those two posts were done over 10 years ago, those are the rules and new people are added to the forum, when they ask to be.

Now as for things to post about, that is up to you. But first off, posting negative comments is very much discouraged I would think as really, negative comments are not really helpful in any way, are they? Although if you were politely to give an unfavourable response with a reason, like say the game crashes or the definitions are different or outdated or such, well then, there's a response to that. :)

As for the game crashing, you can fill out a bug report and tell the developers HOW the game is crashing and what you were doing when it crashed. Of course, even when I play, the game doesn't quite work all the time and may have some issues and even crash once in a while, which is super annoying, but then I make sure to save my game periodically so that I won't lose a lot if it does crash on me before I am done my game. And yes, the game isn't being developed much lately as far as I know, but then there really isn't much more in the game that would need to be added, except for fixing a few bugs here and there, to make the game a good one. As the game plays now, I rather like it, except for the few bugs that I previously mentioned. And when you read about some of the feature requests, I don't feel they are completely necessary as it makes the game interesting to deal with everything you have in the game and still be successful at it.

Now as for the definitions in the game, well, those are different since they are basically done by volunteers and/or fans of the game and sport, I'm guessing. Also, as this is an open-sourced game (i.e. non-profit), using real names might open up a legal issue which is why you see names that aren't quite the same or full names of actual teams, but may try to resemble them as best they can. And as they are done by volunteers and/or fans, well, the ones that originally did the definitions may no longer be here, or very busy, and if there is a country definition you want to complain about or have updated, guess what, you just volunteered. ;) But also, if you look under the "Definitions" area, there may be some updates to some country definitions that may not be included in the original game.

And if you wanted to either update an existing definition file or maybe make a new one, there are a few resources to help you. For starters, you can look at the existing definitions available in the game to get an idea of how to make a country definition, as well as look under the "Definitions" area to see posts on any updated definitions or posts that could assist you in either updating or creating a definition to your specifications. Additionally, the webpage of http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/new/doc/def_howto.html provides some general information as well as links to help create or modify definition files to help you achieve what you want the definition files to do, at least to the best of your ability. Not everything can be achieved in the definitions that would play out in real life but you can come close enough to it, maybe with a slight change here and there, to at least get the same outcome that you might get otherwise. Sometimes it can take a lot of trial and error before you get the definitions right but after all of that, it is a learning experience for sure. And after updating or making a new set of definition files, you can always upload them for others to try too, if you so wished.

So beyond all of that, if you still would like to participate in the forum and have your words seen by others, and potentially definitions seen and maybe tried by others, step right up and register and then e-mail an administrator to get approved to post. Hopefully we'll be seeing your words posted soon.

will_the_canuck

PS - I should add that myself, I am just a normal user like others and have no affiliation with the website or game or development into the game. I just like the game and would like to see other people sharing their thoughts and views and such, if it is applicable.
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: Would you like to participate in the forum?

Post by gunnar »

The problem with the forum is the following: due to sourceforge policy, the forum can not send mails. This means that the activation mail you should receive is not being sent.
I used to have scripts that retrieved those mails and send them out from a different location. This was/is a manual action. In the mean time those scripts actually stopped working. I need time to work on them again. I'll probably need to rewrite them completely.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

I have the mail scripts running again, but it will take time to catch up.
You might be receiving very old mails, don't be alarmed.
It can only send 500 mails a day, so it will take a long time to catch up.
So it's sending newer one first. When you finally receive your activation mail, don't act on it.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

So, the scripts broke again, gmail doesn't allow to send mails without OAUTH authentication. The scripts have finally been fixed.
It has already caught up with the messages.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

The forum was broken after a php upgrade. I updated to the latest version. If something doesn't work, notify me.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

The upgrade of phpBB broke my scripts that enabled the mail to function correctly. You might have missed notifications due to this.