Updating definitions in a source tree

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
tstellar

Updating definitions in a source tree

Post by tstellar »

The definitions in the source tree are in need of an update, this is one thing that is blocking another release. There are some great definitions for 2019/2020 that have been posted on the forum, but these are not useable in tree since they have the real team names.

Would anyone be interested in helping to convert the definitions to something that could be added to the source tree? The procedure for doing this would be:
  • Post a comment on this thread with the country/cup your are working on before you start, so the work is not duplicated.
  • Also update the official_names file with any new teams you add.
  • When you are done, post a zip of the country definitions to this thread and attach the list of teams from the updated official_names file for only the country that you worked on.
Also, since the league schedules are all mixed up this year, I think it would be best to post 2019/2020 definitions that match would was supposed to happen this year. The definitions might be used in bygfoot for many years, so we don't want to add definitions for the bizarre season that we have now.

I have already updated the Faroe Islands definitions. Is anyone interested in working on some other ones?
billys_boots

Re: Updating definitions in a source tree

Post by billys_boots »

It might be better to start with the popular leagues first since these are the ones that users are likely to play. I can do some, perhaps Spain, Italy, Germany or a UK league. Any new definitions for the current game, as it is, would have to be done to fit it in to the original UEFA definitions. will_the_canuck has been working on updating UEFA definitions to mirror the 2019/20 season but these will only work with a limited list of European definitions at the moment. If you could make a plan of how you want to proceed with the source definitions, it would be helpful before I start.
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

I think starting with the popular teams makes sense, but I don't think we need to try to fit them into the old UEFA definitions. We should assume we'll end up using the new versions of those too. What is the current status of the new UEFA definitions? If there are any code changes needed to get the new UEFA definitions to work, I may be able to help.
tstellar

Post by tstellar »

I also wanted to mention that I think it's useful to keep reserve teams in the definitions. I added some new tags to support reserve teams as part of the changes I did recently, and I think reserve teams are good, because they help to fill out the lower leagues and also because it might be possible in the future to add a feature where you can call up players from the reserve team to the first team.
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

The new UEFA definitions are working except that there is an issue with how the files are named. I am using the new UEFA definitions while I test other national definitions and I had to alter the UEFA definitions to suit the national definition I was testing. There is a separate thread regarding this.

With regards to reserve teams. When I updated all the European definitions I removed reserve teams because of restrictions placed on these teams by their national leagues regarding promotion. If you have added a tag and included code to limit reserve teams in how how they can be promoted, reserve teams aren't allowed in any top tier leagues in Europe, and most are forbidden from playing in national cup competitions both of which prevents from from qualifying for UEFA competitions, then I can include reserve teams back into the game when each European definition is updated.