svn2git conversion plus a few improvements

General discussions about the game, e.g. game strategy.
billys_boots

Re: svn2git conversion plus a few improvements

Post by billys_boots »

When I wrote new definitions for European leagues I took out all the reserve teams since they are not allowed promotion beyond a certain level and most reserve teams don't play in national cups. so I removed them from the new definitions.
will_the_canuck

Re: svn2git conversion plus a few improvements

Post by will_the_canuck »

tstellar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 pm I've just pushed some new updates. I noticed that the definitions from the forums were missing reserve teams, so I added some additional promotion logic for promoting / relegating reserve teams. As well as some tags to define reserve teams in the xml files. I also fixed a bug in cups that have only 2 teams in the first round.
As billys_boots later explained his stance on reserve teams, in that they have limited playing time outside of league play, I have a different stance on them as really, they are part of the league and if a user wanted to play a reserve team, they should be allowed that opportunity that any team in any league could enjoy. :) As for having some additional promotion logic for reserve teams and being able to identify them to the program, I would say that is a positive thing although I may foresee a slight issue, unless the future definitions developers account for all of this stuff. :) And besides, these new "tags" and "options" would have to be documented, or else they are just undocumented options that would likely go unused, if they were put into production.

As for the "bug" you fixed in the cups files, I asked about that in another posting.
I wrote a script to try to update the forum definitions with the bygfoot names for all the teams, but it turns out there are ~5000 teams in the definitions that don't have entries in the names file. So, it would be a pretty big job to try to update them all. I did update the Faroe Islands definitions with the bygfoot names, since I was using this for testing my reserve team changes.
Hmmm. About 5000 teams in the definitions you say? That surely sounds like a lot for sure. When I think of it, likely around 2000 teams might be from my USA definitions alone, since I post mulitple versions of it and all. :) But as for this "names file", you have to remember that it is old and hasn't been updated in likely over a decade, and since then, some new teams would creep in and have no entry to speak of. Also, as time went on, more layers have been added to the definitions so that instead of 4 tiers, a definition might have 5 or more tiers to it now, compared to back when they were originally done. The only really good way to get the results you want is to do it when the definitions are being made. Yes, it might take longer but at least it will be more anonymous that way. Though too, sometimes it makes little sense but oh well.

will_the_canuck