star-studded team

General help forum. You can post here if you have trouble installing, for instance.
Anonymissimus

star-studded team

Post by Anonymissimus »

Since reaching an average skill 80+ I often get a message like this when trying to prolong contracts or buying new players:
"The player feels he doesn't have a future in your star-studded team. He refuses to negotiate."
That's not only complete nonsense, it is painful to loose a player I have trained for years that way. I'd pay any money they want.
If you want to make it hard please do something else. It is quite possible to quickly loose all important players that way.
Munich is ridiculously strong, even much more than in reality, average skill mostly about 94, much stronger than the European competitors (playing German first league), but I'm now in a situation that I can't buy a player with skill ~93 no matter how often I try or what money I offer - "too many stars in my team" although they're only about 5 with 90+.
If someone has this problem, too: Obviously players refusing to negotiate need to have skill 90.0+. So just before they reach 90.0+, make a 5.xx years contract.
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: star-studded team

Post by gunnar »

I can see your problem there, and while I think that some players will refuse, other players will accept a huge fee as compensation, especially if your team has played Champions league a few times in a row it should gain appeal to players . On the other hand we have a balance problem with the game which needs addressing and except for this rule, we haven't found another solution.

If anyone has ways to make the game harder, more enjoyable, please tell us, we will happily implement it (if it's feasible of course)
Anonymissimus

Post by Anonymissimus »

The fact that a few German teams, Bayern Munich the most, are always several points stronger than the best European competitors is a balancing problem, too. Munich should be about the same level like Barcelona, Manchester etc. In half or so of the 12 seasons they were the winning team in the champions league. I've seen them at average skill ~97 sometimes.
I started in a lower league. I got to the semi-final and to the final in the champions league (since Munich was already defeated^^), so it doesn't seem impossible to win, but if I loose it's mostly against the strong German teams. I wonder what would happen if I chose Munich itself but I don't want to play them.
I tested an older bygfoot version, too...yes the "star balking" definitely makes it a LOT harder. However, I think excluding players from the own youth academy from "star balking" would be an appropriate reward, it lasts a long time to build up a team that way, needs much investment (accept players of low current skill) and it makes some sense since these players once decided to join the team by their free will. I'm guessing it wouldn't need much more than a bool and an if.
What are the precise rules for star balking then ? E.g. how many 90+ players are allowed ? If one player decides to refuse to prolong the contract, does that make it likelier that the next player accepts ?
OK so maybe I play some more champions league, hoping to get more stars then...
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

Anonymissimus wrote:The fact that a few German teams, Bayern Munich the most, are always several points stronger than the best European competitors is a balancing problem, too. Munich should be about the same level like Barcelona, Manchester etc. In half or so of the 12 seasons they were the winning team in the champions league. I've seen them at average skill ~97 sometimes.
That is something we can fix.
Anonymissimus wrote: What are the precise rules for star balking then ? E.g. how many 90+ players are allowed ? If one player decides to refuse to prolong the contract, does that make it likelier that the next player accepts ?
that I need to check, it was Gyözö that implemented it and I haven't looked at it yet.
Anonymissimus wrote:OK so maybe I play some more champions league, hoping to get more stars then...
Well that part isn't implemented I think.
ircarrascal
definitions team

Post by ircarrascal »

I think some of us will be happy if one of our players refuses to play for us but then he goes on to one of the top clubs of the country we're playing. Right now when they refuse they just disappear from the game and nothing is known about them anymore. I remember suggesting a while ago to make the transfers actually happen between CPU teams and human-CPU teams rather than only for the user's team. Are there any news on that?
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

ircarrascal wrote:I remember suggesting a while ago to make the transfers actually happen between CPU teams and human-CPU teams rather than only for the user's team. Are there any news on that?
filipemb is working on a patch for this. We're helping along the way with guidance. So no ETA, but we're (actually filipe is) working on it.
filipemb

Post by filipemb »

definely no ETA. i am new to C programming (having coded in other languages before) and neither do I or gunnar have plenty of time to spend on this..
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

The observation about German teams and Munich should be based on happenstance, if you start a new game, you should see quite different international teams be the strongest.

As for star player balking, if you feel the odds are too heavily weighted against you, you can try adjusting the two parameters

Code: Select all

# the chance that a new star player to be bought doesn't
# balk because of other star players already on the team
float_transfer_star_no_balk 12000

# the chance that a star player doesn't balk
# at contract renewal time
float_contract_star_no_balk 25000
in bygfoot_constants.

I like the idea about youths not balking at all.
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.