Two rounds/fixtures in a single week

You can add your ideas on how to make Bygfoot better here.
chunter
definitions team

Two rounds/fixtures in a single week

Post by chunter »

The practice of having a Wednesday match and a Saturday match in the same week during good weather/attendance or slow non-cup months is practiced in several leagues I write definitions for, particularly in USA and Japan. A good way to implement this in the XML might be:

Code: Select all

<twomatchweek_start>20</twomatchweek_start>
<twomatchweek_end>24</twomatchweek_end>
There is a similar practice of having both legs or a cup (or playoff, really) take place in the same week, particularly in USA and Mexico. This could perhaps be implemented with a simple tag in the cup's round, like this:

Code: Select all

<cup_round>
  <twomatchweek>1</twomatchweek>
</cup_round>
Feel free to ask if more explanation is needed, I'll find some actual league calendars to point to as examples.

Thanks in advance :)
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

hi christopher,

a nice idea, as usual. i've added the requested def system enhancement to the svn repository. here's the excerpt from the updated howto (not online yet):
League howto wrote:In some countries, two matches are played per week (at least some weeks).
You can specify intervals of matchdays with the tags ``two_match_week_start``
and ``two_match_week_end`` to have two matchdays per week in the given interval.
The following example, for instance, will cause the first two matchdays of the
league to occur in the same week, and the matchdays 16-17 and 18-19 will also
occur in the same weeks, respectively:

```
<league>

...snip...

<two_match_week_start>1</two_match_week_start>
<two_match_week_end>2</two_match_week_end>
<two_match_week_start>16</two_match_week_start>
<two_match_week_end>19</two_match_week_end>

...snip...

</league>
```
note that you don't specify weeks but matchdays.

the same tags can be used in cup rounds with round robin; the numbers refer to the matchdays of the cup round, ie. you use 1 and 2 to have the first matchday of the round robin stage occur in the same week.

in cup rounds with home/away matches you can use the tag <two_match_week>1</two_match_week> to have both matches in the same week.

i hope this is what you were asking for. please test and report if it doesn't work as expected or has side effects.

gyozo
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

Thank you!

The tags work on all except the first instance in a cup match. :P

If I have a 'two_match_week' tag on all the rounds, it works on all the rounds except the first one.

It works perfectly on the leagues.

The only issue I've come across besides that is that the 'Show Fixtures (week) F3' display, which doesn't seem to know how to traverse forward through the weeks that have two league fixtures. It appears to work fine for cup rounds.

I was using this definition for testing:
http://chunter.homeip.net/bygfoot/mexico-2007-02-19.tgz

league_mexico1, cup_mexico1_apertura, cup_mexico1_clausura, and cup_mexico_superliga have the special weeks defined in them.

Ask if you have questions, and I hope that was helpful. :?

Thanks again
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

good.. i'll look into both problems when i have some time; not before wednesday, maybe the weekend.

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

chunter wrote:If I have a 'two_match_week' tag on all the rounds, it works on all the rounds except the first one.
should be fixed in svn now.
The only issue I've come across besides that is that the 'Show Fixtures (week) F3' display, which doesn't seem to know how to traverse forward through the weeks that have two league fixtures. It appears to work fine for cup rounds.
couldn't reproduce. what symptoms did you come across exactly?
Ask if you have questions, and I hope that was helpful. :?
you're always helpful, chris :-)

gyözö
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

couldn't reproduce. what symptoms did you come across exactly?
Start a new season of the Mexico with two-fixture weeks, once you've picked a sponsor, press F3 and click the arrow that moves you through the future fixtures. If the bug is repeatable for you, it won't show you anything after week 3. (If it isn't repeatable, I'll check my Glade and Perl installations. While installing Glade, I found a corruption in a Perl library, so all may not be well in my PC.)

Since everything is playable enough as is, I'll get to work on adjusting the effected countries over the course of the next week or so.

Thanks for everything
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

chunter wrote:Start a new season of the Mexico with two-fixture weeks, once you've picked a sponsor, press F3 and click the arrow that moves you through the future fixtures. If the bug is repeatable for you, it won't show you anything after week 3.
ah, now i nailed it. with F4 it worked, that's why i couldn't reproduce it first.

fixed in svn. thanks.

gyözö
chunter
definitions team

Anything that can go wrong...

Post by chunter »

Not that we need to find any more bugs right now, but I noticed that the Eastern and Western Conferences in USA weren't ending at the same time like they were supposed to. In this definition for usa:

http://chunter.homeip.net/bygfoot/usa-2007-03-02.tgz

You'll note in the definition league_usa_wconf that as I've left it, bygfoot should only combine matchdays 4 and 5, which it does, but it also combines matchdays 14 and 15, and 24 and 25. :oops:

Thanks in advance for any insight into the matter.
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Anything that can go wrong...

Post by gyboth »

chunter wrote:Not that we need to find any more bugs right now, but I noticed that the Eastern and Western Conferences in USA weren't ending at the same time like they were supposed to. In this definition for usa:

http://chunter.homeip.net/bygfoot/usa-2007-03-02.tgz

You'll note in the definition league_usa_wconf that as I've left it, bygfoot should only combine matchdays 4 and 5, which it does, but it also combines matchdays 14 and 15, and 24 and 25. :oops:

Thanks in advance for any insight into the matter.
bug fixed (in svn), thanks for reporting ;-)

gyözö