Hellooo long time friends

Anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
vector

Hellooo long time friends

Post by vector »

Vector ducks the missiles.
Im not back but then I never really left, I check ocasionaly back here to see if things kicked off under a new regime. But to date it seems this is it.

I do apologise for not being more involved and maybe for tidying up the loose ends I left but things just got busy and I knew that gyboth was busy and well things just drift off into the sunset dont they.

I found a new game.. its not virtual tho :)
I got sucked into the vortex that is football. due to the sudden change in peoples view of football in Australia due to the world cup, all sorts of opportunities came dancing around. There was a void of available coaches, managers and an increase in the desire for youth development.
One minute I was playing bygfoot the next I was a licenced coach heading the local clubs Youth Developmnet system, Id toured with the FFA and FFV doing clinics in schools but now have settled as a coach in the sub local youth Accademy. I attended as a talent spotter and coach for the try outs and will be receiving a squad some time in october to train for a competition in jan-feb.

Its been a very intense time for me, the formal training, gaining of formal experince and many hours writing up development plans etc has taken its toll but its been fun and the door has really only just opened.

Amongst all of this I tried out for 3 teams in an attempt to re kindle my playing days and not be all theory ;) and improve my fitness. But I broke a 5th metatarsal which put me out for 12 weeks, then was back for one game and broke my big toe. Luckily I can hobble and coach at the same time.

Ill try to keep an ear out on here more often but I must admit the break I had from sitting in front of computers be it at play or work has taught me to not want to end up back there in front of the blasted things again.

Im happiest on the green stuff with a round wad of whatever to kick about.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

Someone actually playing and coaching the game? *sarcastic gasp*

I haven't played (round) football since I was in high school, but then again, I'm in the USA, and in my part of the country people tend to think of soccer as a kid's game... (or as a Mexican thing if you go for blatant ethnic slurs.)

Anyway, I consider Bygfoot to be a very mature product right now, so the slowness isn't really killing anyone...

Despite that, I'm still working on some country definitions, mixed in with the other things I do, and though I've requested features related to what I'm doing, I don't expect them done overnight, and indeed, when I have more time to focus on learning what all the C code does, I hope to help implement them!

The beauty of the GPL and open-source thing is that if the project isn't moving fast enough for someone daring enough, you don't have to ask anyone's permission to fork it. How many variants of Nethack are there?

Just wanted to say that because the last few posts have seemed like spirits are down- this is a great game, a good achievement, and something to be proud of! If it was my program, I'd use it for a resume line to demonstrate work with coding for XML configuration files and difficult scheduling algorithms.

So anyway, there's time for stuff like this when there's time for stuff like this, it's supposed to be fun, right? :D

Best wishes
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

Sorry about the multiposts, I was getting a PHP error and didn't realize they were recorded...
vector

Post by vector »

chunter
USA soccer Australia Soccer.. similar attitudes im afraid in that its considered low sport. However the trend is changing and I think or is that hope :) that the generation being taught now will triumph and turn around the masses in 10 years time.
At the mo there is no real carreer path for kids wanting to play soccer. Lets hope this and more will be addressed as time goes by.
In many ways we are actually behind you guys.
We also have some very dificult hurdles to jump. Mainly player numbers to geographic areas ratios. For example in our topflight A league one of the teams is in New Zealand, thats like an 8 hour flight. Imagine Man UTD flying to say India to play a local derby game! its crazy and hard to work within.

anyway keep hacking away at that C :) and if you do hit a brick wall..grab a ball and head outside :) fresh air will do you good.

Yes heaps of work was put into this game, its a great achievment. I even thought the other day if there was a way to simplify it so it would work on my old palm pilot Vx but then I realise how much work would be involved and I pick up my ball and go kick it outside. :wink: :oops:
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

what multiposts? :lol:
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Hellooo long time friends

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:Vector ducks the missiles.
as well you should ;-)
Im not back but then I never really left, I check ocasionaly back here to see if things kicked off under a new regime. But to date it seems this is it.
correct, unfortunately. i haven't abdicated officially yet, though (planning to do so soon).
I do apologise for not being more involved and maybe for tidying up the loose ends I left but things just got busy and I knew that gyboth was busy and well things just drift off into the sunset dont they.
never mind, you've been an extremely valuable contributor as long as you had the time, almost all icons are yours.
One minute I was playing bygfoot the next I was a licenced coach heading the local clubs Youth Developmnet system, Id toured with the FFA and FFV doing clinics in schools but now have settled as a coach in the sub local youth Accademy. I attended as a talent spotter and coach for the try outs and will be receiving a squad some time in october to train for a competition in jan-feb.
does this mean you quit your job at the uni? are you a full-time coach?
Amongst all of this I tried out for 3 teams in an attempt to re kindle my playing days and not be all theory ;) and improve my fitness. But I broke a 5th metatarsal which put me out for 12 weeks, then was back for one game and broke my big toe. Luckily I can hobble and coach at the same time.
whatever a metatarsal is, it sounds ugly to have it broken :-P get well soon.
Ill try to keep an ear out on here more often but I must admit the break I had from sitting in front of computers be it at play or work has taught me to not want to end up back there in front of the blasted things again.
ah, this does sound like you quit your old job ;-)
Im happiest on the green stuff with a round wad of whatever to kick about.
have fun then :-)

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

vector wrote:chunter
USA soccer Australia Soccer.. similar attitudes im afraid in that its considered low sport. However the trend is changing and I think or is that hope :) that the generation being taught now will triumph and turn around the masses in 10 years time.
I think history is showing that ten years might be a liberal estimate, but USA's game has come a long way since MLS was founded... the issue is that despite that, similar to what you are saying- it is very regionalized and comparmentalized. If I want to see a professional match, I must drive for at least three hours, and then, it's to a team that usually gets 2,000-5,000 attendance and that's all.

I hope Australia's federation/association does not repeat a mistake that USA keeps stumbling over- don't make a big league at the expense of the smaller ones. MLS drained talent from the USL/USISL system, and as a result we've got this awkward system where you can be in MLS, or on a youth team, but there's not much in between. Time -will- rectify that problem, but I think it's going to take a while and the game here will suffer for it.

Now, if you want to laugh at the similar joke of geographic logistics, search for "USA relegation" on Google and read the many flamewars that appear. You see, the team I live three hours from historically is quite good in their USL division and could probably be promoted if there was a system to do so, but they do not and probably cannot generate the revenue necessary to say, fly to Los Angeles twice a year.

All in good time, I guess.
vector wrote:Yes heaps of work was put into this game, its a great achievment. I even thought the other day if there was a way to simplify it so it would work on my old palm pilot Vx but then I realise how much work would be involved and I pick up my ball and go kick it outside. :wink: :oops:
The beauty of the internet (to me) is that even if this project becomes complacent, the code will still be around (in Linux distro packages, for example) to eventually pique the interest of others, so there's no real crisis here. I just hope users will want to communicate to keep that sort of thing both likely and easy to detect.

As an example, I shared the USA definition I was working on (or a variant edited to work with his version) to a fellow that emailed me through something I wrote in my blog. Perhaps a place to share users' customizations would be handy if there is enough interest, though I do wonder about the use of "real" or "official" names issue.

Best wishes
vector

Re: Hellooo long time friends

Post by vector »

gyboth wrote:correct, unfortunately. i haven't abdicated officially yet, though (planning to do so soon).
:cry:
gyboth wrote:does this mean you quit your job at the uni? are you a full-time coach?
I wish, no im still here, cant see me getting enough doe at coaching to make a move like that
gyboth wrote:whatever a metatarsal is, it sounds ugly to have it broken :-P get well soon.
its the middle bone in ya foot, and as for getting better me begining to thinks its gonna be one of those injuries that never really heals
gyboth wrote:ah, this does sound like you quit your old job ;-)
na just realised how much time i was spending in front of this thing. the kids are growing up and becoming more active now so my "spare time" :wink: is less and less

I must almost blame bygfoot for all of this :P it ...erm ...allowed .. me to spend more time than ever on the PC and sucked me deeper into linux, and re-triggered the football genes in me. There were of course lots of other things aswell.
Its amazing what links with with what. Id never XML'd b4 bygfoot and yet just the other day I had to work with some XML files...easy I said I been there :D I know all about em !!

No doubt bygfoot has made me a better man... it also can be taken to cure the common cold tee hee.
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

chunter wrote: I think history is showing that ten years might be a liberal estimate, but USA's game has come a long way since MLS was founded... the issue is that despite that, similar to what you are saying- it is very regionalized and comparmentalized. If I want to see a professional match, I must drive for at least three hours, and then, it's to a team that usually gets 2,000-5,000 attendance and that's all.
yeah im not sure we will ever see the situation where you could wonder down to the local stadium and see 20k people cheering..
chunter wrote: I hope Australia's federation/association does not repeat a mistake that USA keeps stumbling over-
of course not we have plenty of our own stuff ups
chunter wrote: don't make a big league at the expense of the smaller ones.
however not to be outdone we are pursuing this one too. :roll:

chunter wrote: Now, if you want to laugh at the similar joke of geographic logistics, search for "USA relegation" on Google and read the many flamewars that appear. You see, the team I live three hours from historically is quite good in their USL division and could probably be promoted if there was a system to do so, but they do not and probably cannot generate the revenue necessary to say, fly to Los Angeles twice a year.
interesting and I have spent many an hour debating such things football with forums and coach's alike, its a strange strange world..all good fun tho
chunter wrote: The beauty of the internet (to me) is that even if this project becomes complacent, the code will still be around (in Linux distro packages, for example) to eventually pique the interest of others, so there's no real crisis here. I just hope users will want to communicate to keep that sort of thing both likely and easy to detect.
yes it lives on if only in the dirty depths of someones USB key.
As an example, I shared the USA definition I was working on (or a variant edited to work with his version) to a fellow that emailed me through something I wrote in my blog. Perhaps a place to share users' customizations would be handy if there is enough interest, though I do wonder about the use of "real" or "official" names issue.
well i did start the twiki for this sort of thing but it never really took off. and I cant claim the twiki http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/tw ... ot/WebHome wont disapear one day because im not really an IT type person.. it works but Im not always sure how
:roll: and if it breaks it could be all over red rover.
I tried making a mirror for it once ( on afriends net) which worked for a while but something is not quite right now.
Not exactly confidence boosting is it :oops:

aghg welll Que Sera, Sera
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

That Twiki seems to work alright, and that's quite what I had in mind.

While it's true I'm working on my own server I don't think it's as qualified to serve it as well as the server it's on is... let me know if you need/want help keeping it backed up at least.

As for MLS attendance, it's not too[/] bad considering the target audience and how often they're tapped, it's the lower (grassroots) levels that are terrible.

Anyway, best wishes regarding everything and we'll see what happens
vector

Post by vector »

good glad the twiki is helping fell free to fiddle and move things around..
im off on hols for a week

went to a local A league game with the kids last saturday.. they moved the game to a bigger stadium and dropped the price.. and sure enough there usual 20k blossomed to 39k attendance.. a record..
I dont admit they would get that every week but the atmosphere was vibrant and I know that anyone who went, would do it again and bring their mates if it was always going to be like that evrey match.

The game aint over but we had a glimpse of what might be!!
:)
What type are you?