Live game commentary improvements

The developers will post here to let you peek into future versions and announce new releases.

Moderator: idcarlos

vector

Post by vector »

i know... but i doubt i'll have the time to come up with something simpler before the release.
hey no problemo its a love job after all :)
Im hoping to do some while im away so it would be nice to have it by then,,Sept 16th, but again not important.. Ill be netless for about two weeks and who knows i may even leave the laptop turned off. I tend to do that when im on hols.. dont even wear a watch :)
the syntax is correct.
yeah!!
at least two layers apart. i think you rather mean '>=1
nope i meant 2 :) 1 would be just "Brilliant" 3 would be "impossible win for "
:) I was proving that i understood the complexities :)
lower layer means a better team
ohh oops see im not perfect :P
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

i seem to have a bug i think
i start a new game
reload constants just for sure
set up de50 and tc1
with the latest file commentary file loaded
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/cg ... taryVer190
run the game(not live)
the game exits!!
its something to do with the lines i have comented out. ( the conditionals) I tried commenting one out at a time but as it dosent always exit its hard to pin point where its going wrong..
could the terminal display an error code or something (a simple lg_commentery_en.xml line number would suffice)
Im pretty sure i have had (by fiddling the values) all the commentrary cond come up so Im pretty sure there syntax is ok.
however sometimes it trips up for an unkonw reason.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:Im hoping to do some while im away so it would be nice to have it by then,,Sept 16th, but again not important.. Ill be netless for about two weeks and who knows i may even leave the laptop turned off. I tend to do that when im on hols.. dont even wear a watch :)
make sure to upload your latest version to your server before you leave us. i'll release on the 10th sep., unless there's serious trouble.

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:i seem to have a bug i think
i start a new game
reload constants just for sure
set up de50 and tc1
with the latest file commentary file loaded
:arrow: thanks for reporting. the bug should be fixed.

it was very good you reported because it helped me improve the commentary code considerably; i hadn't thought of commentary texts containing *nested* '[[]]'s; the segfault happened because of such a text (a half time commentary).

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

yep seems much better now.
I have noticed on occasion i get the ERROR?? on the end of some commentaries as they scroll up the terminal screen. But then I have seen those commentries as well without the ERROR??
Its dosent stop or burp the game so Im not too fused right now.
have up loaded a newer lg-com-en and will continue to build on it as time permits.
I try to make sure the uploaded file has been tested.
It certainly shouldnt break anything, but may result in "contextual" errors as i come to terms with the syntax.
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

yo
in a rush but i know you want to release
i just updated some contextual issues in the commentry
its on my twiki but i didnt cvs up it
i did the work on my laptop and allthat isnt working yet .. sorry dude
grab it form my twiki
see ya
must fly
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

that's all right, thanks for your work :-) i'm going to get the file from your server then.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

erm just checked it and the cvs does not have the latest!
the one on my server is later than the one on the cvs.. which means there are some errors floating about.
Ill try and cvs it ..if i can remember how

yep i think its done
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

new ideas!!
just when you thought youd finished.
1) it would be nice to have a commantry event for half time kick off.
2) it would be nice to have a "second" commantry for certain events. for example
scoring chance : he shoots
scores: he scores
after score event : this makes it 3:0, can it get any worse

now i know your going to say you can put both events in the one line. but the size of the commantry window is best left as it is with short length commantry not long ones.
it also allows for more realism as it allows us to use or put a higher priority on conidionall coms.
the score event relates to how he scored while the after score event is a general event of the state of the match.

Id almost apply this second com feature to a few other events like. kick off, half time, penalties etc.

3) disable repeat use of this commentry in this game.
Some commentry would be great if it comes up only once in the match. I have a few of these but just occasionlaly the random com picker picks it twice in the game which makes it sound a little funny.

these of course are ohh i wish i could do that or know that type features.. I wouldnt worry about them too much.
What type are you?

Post by Guest »

ok im pretty much off on hols so i type thi squickly and without thinking to much so flame away :) only ideas if you want to expand even further the live commentary

For a number of reasons I think it would be very usefull to know where the ball is.
I would say 6 areas.
home
penalty area,6yard box,box to half way line,
away
line to box, box to penalty area.
this allows alot of scope in the commentry.
we currently dont have throw ins corners or goal kicks. but we can synthersize these events just by knowing one more thing,, where is the ball.
for eg if the ball has changed possession rather than it allways being as a result of a tackle there is no reason we couldnt call it a throw in?
eg 2 the homeT has the ball,its at their penalty area and we get a change possesion. we could synthesize a corner out of this?
we have the ball and we are in our defence, knowing this allows us to say ourteam is trying to clear the ball.
as you can see this leads us to all sorts of commentary we can add lots more.

another bit of info!! time spent in areas

Having a percentage of time spent in each area also gives us a whole heap of info to comment on. the game is stalling in the midfiled could be said if the mid areas have the highest percentage.we can also deduce things like.
team A have had the most possesion, the ball has been in the team Bs hlaf most of the time.. Team A just cant crack the .defencive wall team b have built.or team a just cant get the ball out of there half, team b's midfiled is too strong, etc etc.
vector

Post by vector »

oops that was me :)
and i meant the 18yard line not the 6.
so we have 6 areas
the home sides goaline to 6yard box(also known as the penalty area)
the 6yard to the 18yard (goalie area) and the 18yard to the halfway line.
then the same for the away side.
What type are you?