Transparent Icons

New icons and similar things are discussed here.
vector

Transparent Icons

Post by vector »

Ok I think I fixed it up now but I have files everywhere and not all tidy. I must take screaming kids to park so ill have to do the "housekeeping" later.

Took quite a while. My main problem is that im drawing on winxp and checking it on linux. I have to copy files across and then see them fail. Until now of course :wink:

I have learnt how to use scp
how to draw small icons and make em transparent
how to check them in glade
what percent of grey gtk uses
how to recover from an incorrect use of rsync... :oops:
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Transparent Icons

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:what percent of grey gtk uses
this is the one thing that might be of no use, in fact :-? cf. my other post...

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
vector

Post by vector »

hmmIm still having a little trouble wiht transparency and GTK. Just when I think I have it, something is not quite right.

Some of my images have "hard edges" they look ok on some background colours but not others :sad:

The fire_player.png you have is indeed a 24bit image (which if you remember I though GTK couldnt deal with), I cant get glade to open a 24bit image I make. In fact the act of opening and saving fire_player.png in my program(CorelDraw) causes the error, So I began to think maybe Corel has a PNG bug in it.

so i installed gimp on windows (You can see im trying to drift towards linux type apps as much as possible) ;)

I saved myfile as 24bit transparent in corel and then opened the file in gimp. Gimp gives me a corrupt error but opened anyway. I simply hit save and bingo I have a proper 24 bit PNG with no funny edges.

Of course now I have to work out why all this is happenign . Maybe a setting on Corel or even a bug.

However :
I can make transparent images but I have to make in corel save into gimp and save again.

Options:
Learn linux driven graphics programs
but I have so much clipart for corel done allready.
find fix for corel
Give up and drink more scotch..or are you a vodka man?

And you thought codeing was hard 8)
AND you thought I new what i was doing with graphics.
We are both wrong on the last one :wink:
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:The fire_player.png you have is indeed a 24bit image
i never had problems with pixmaps being corrupt or whatever. but then i always worked on them with gimp. the drawback is, gimp isn't very ... erm... comfortable to use. i can really understand if you'd like to stick with corel as long as you can.
I can make transparent images but I have to make in corel save into gimp and save again.
better than not being able to do them at all ;-)
Learn linux driven graphics programs
i wouldn't want to to that if i were you.. but i'm no designer, either.
find fix for corel
on the internet maybe?
Give up and drink more scotch..or are you a vodka man?
beer man :-D you know germany's reputation for beer... especially bavaria, where my parents live.
And you thought codeing was hard 8)
AND you thought I new what i was doing with graphics.
We are both wrong on the last one :wink:
i've got to admit that i hate making pixmaps. mainly because i'm no good at it, and doing the simplest things takes hours :-? you know better what you're doing with graphics, for sure :-)

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
vector

Post by vector »

I send a virtual beer to you then :lol:

After all this it prooves that I was correct the first time. I was saving as 24 bit because thats what I used to use to make transparent images for the web. for some reason there was a strange Corel 24 bit export to GTK bug. Its only taken me a week to realise that :roll:

There was mention on the net re a patch fix but I installed and it made no difference. I have Corel12 on order but it didnt arrive b4 xmas hols. Ill use the Make in corel save in Gimp fix for now and at least get on with some stuff. Hopefully 12 will fix.

May the new year bring much beeer
What type are you?