Bygfoot Football Manager as Online Game

Anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
dylansmrjones

Bygfoot Football Manager as Online Game

Post by dylansmrjones »

Well - I'm pretty active at hattrick.org and have some misgivings about the way it's running. Basically the license is way out of line. Basically, if the GMs thinks your are cheating, you'll be banned - pretty much without a chance to explain anything - even if you're not cheating. And it might be a 3 year old case which triggers it. And on top of that you're not allowed to tell anything to anybody. If you publish the mails from the GM's you will be banned again. And so on. And the whole process is extremely closed.

I DON'T LIKE THAT. I believe in openess, not just for code but in general.

So my idea is to create a competitor for hattrick. A FLOSS competitor with as much openess as possible. And a better tactical engine and smarter training as well.

Of course I cannot do that yet. I'm not good enough at C or C++ nor at PHP or Perl. But I think it would be great, so I'm willing to give it a try if anyone thinks the idea is good or at least not too bad.

/dylansmrjones
---copyright is no right---
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

there's been a discussion about bygfoot online multiplayer (see this post; not online mp, though, rather network-based), but i've decided against that path. my network programming skills are simply not enough (since i don't have any :-?) to do it well.

i'm sorry to disappoint you but i can't help you with the programming part. however, should you ever find someone who'd like to do it (or if you try to do it yourself) you're most welcome to reuse any part of the Bygfoot source code that helps you.

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
dylansmrjones

Okay...

Post by dylansmrjones »

I'll start reading the source to see what I can learn from it. My own networking skills aren't to great (if I have any that is :P) - but PHP and Perl might be what I need. I'll start reading now.

However - I hope somebody else comes a long one day - but for now I can manage it myself. It's going to take some time no matter what :D

BTW: I'm working on a danish translation to Bygfoot :D - just so you know ;)

/dylansmrjones
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Okay...

Post by gyboth »

dylansmrjones wrote:BTW: I'm working on a danish translation to Bygfoot :D - just so you know ;)
great to hear :-D though i must say that the 1.8 branch is somewhat outdated and won't have new features any more. the next version of the game will be 1.9.0 for which we'll need new translations, probably.

you could make a danish country definition for 1.9.0, that'd be even better ;-) have a look at this howto.

gyözö
dylansmrjones

Okay

Post by dylansmrjones »

I'll just make two translations then :lol:

And a couple of country definitions as well. One 1.9.x and one for 1.8.1 (the one I'm currently using.)

Btw: Bygfoot rules... I really like the game - of so many reasons I wont bother you about all the reasons. But I really like it, and I'm looking forward to 1.9.x and 2.6.x and 7.4.x and .... you get the picture, right :lol:

/dylansmrjones
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Okay

Post by gyboth »

dylansmrjones wrote:I'll just make two translations then :lol:

And a couple of country definitions as well. One 1.9.x and one for 1.8.1 (the one I'm currently using.)
great! though i've got to warn you, there won't be more than 1 or 2 1.8 releases, so maybe it's not really worth making a definition for the 1.8 branch. perhaps it'll be good to make one for 1.9 and if you've still got the energy, you can make one for 1.8.

or maybe you're good at making icons? 1.9 still needs a lot of icons, and the "official" icon-maker is rather busy lately ;-)
Btw: Bygfoot rules... I really like the game - of so many reasons I wont bother you about all the reasons. But I really like it, and I'm looking forward to 1.9.x and 2.6.x and 7.4.x and .... you get the picture, right :lol:

btw, if you'd like to have a look at the 1.9 branch, you can do a cvs checkout using the bygfoot-update script (also shipped with 1.8.1).

gyözö
Lomion

Post by Lomion »

Changing a single player game into a multi-player online game is not an easy thing to do. You have to define a protocol, design a server, find a place to run the server. The easiest way is the reverse way: design the game as multiplayer from scratch and implement bots that allow anyone to play alone against one or several AIs. I don't know the Bygfoot code well enough to tell if it is possible to make an online Bygfoot.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Lomion wrote:I don't know the Bygfoot code well enough to tell if it is possible to make an online Bygfoot.
there's been a discussion about it here:
http://bygfoot.sourceforge.net/forum/vi ... highlight=

eventually i decided against server/client multiplayer. i still think it was the right decision because i'm fairly convinced that the concept of football manager games isn't well suited for online multiplayer (unless you're very patient).

gyözö