Icon Update

New icons and similar things are discussed here.
vector

Icon Update

Post by vector »

I have converted most of the Icons to transparent background and they are now all 20 pixel High. Width mary vary. Height seemed more important.

also added my first Stadium Finance attempt
I think I need to make the $ clearer?
or does it just look like a space ship :cry: . Tis hard making things small and look good.
see them all here
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/tw ... otArtwork/
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Icon Update

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:I have converted most of the Icons to transparent background and they are now all 20 pixel High. Width mary vary. Height seemed more important.
hm.. i've been thinking, maybe it'd be better to use larger pixmaps... the amount of details that can be used in such small ones is really very limited. on the other hand, the bygfoot interface is really packed. i should try to solve that problem first :-?
also added my first Stadium Finance attempt
I think I need to make the $ clearer?
definitely you need to. maybe it'd be even better to have only two $-signs on the left and right, respectively.
or does it just look like a space ship :cry: . Tis hard making things small and look good.
now that you say it... some similarities can't be denied :lol:

what about the logo for the homepage? that one would give you some instant reward, we'd put it online as soon as you're done; you won't have to wait for the next release.

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
vector

Post by vector »

Ill work on the home page logo in the next week, it requires coming to terms with the software. Flash is easy but you wanted animated gifs so Im learning what I can and cant do.

A single $ sign perhaps
Looks like an "old" car tyre now.

I dont think having slightly bigger pixmaps would help. I ts really just a matter of me learning how to convey things on a small scale. To be honest alot of Icons I see in apps are generally not very "logical" looking anyway. Human brains just put pictures to processes much easier. Once you have learnt what the Icon stands for, it really matters not what it is.
What screen size and resolution do you have?
I use a 19 here and a 22 at work I wouldnt say the bygfoot page is packed at all. There is plenty of space! However the Icon sizes are about correct (compared to other apps)so i wouldnt change the size but I would put more on the menu bar.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:Ill work on the home page logo in the next week, it requires coming to terms with the software. Flash is easy but you wanted animated gifs so Im learning what I can and cant do.
don't want to press you. i just think it'd be a bit of a satisfaction for you to see some of your work actually in use :-)
A single $ sign perhaps
Looks like an "old" car tyre now.
yes, like this there's more room for the stadium. but the $ should be darker; it's a bit hard to read 'cause the background's light, too.
I dont think having slightly bigger pixmaps would help.
all right, you're the art developer :-)
What screen size and resolution do you have?
I use a 19 here and a 22 at work I wouldnt say the bygfoot page is packed at all. There is plenty of space! However the Icon sizes are about correct (compared to other apps)so i wouldnt change the size but I would put more on the menu bar.
i have 800x600 here at my parents' place and 1024x768 at home (17'' and 15'' screens), and with both there isn't much space left for new buttons. small wonder you don't think it's packed if you have much bigger screens ;-)
what do you mean put more on the menu bar? you mean like 'file' and 'help'? that'd be an idea, to put the buttons that are needed rarely onto that bar... there's a lot of space there.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

ahha
I just tried 800x and noticed im actually running 1158x
oouch. forgotten how small 800 was;)
Ill keep this in mind in future.
what do you mean put more on the menu bar? you mean like 'file' and 'help'? that'd be an idea,
yep thats where I would put your current "figures" and "quick options' dropdowns leaving the 'tool bar' for icons

For eg I reckon you would get 3 if not 4 icons in the same space the figures dropdown button takes. The drop down only contains 5 items. So we are not gaining much, allthough of course if you were to add more.....

I suspect the GTK interface adjusts the size of the drop down column depending on the text in it, because "figures" is wider than "quickoptions" so its not the title size.

Yeah the more I think the more i believe its best if they were both on the menu bar.
easy to change?
I m somewhat adversed to try as Im not succeeding at much.
I dont want to take you away from 1.9 but I currently seem incapable of achieving much at all. :roll:
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote: yep thats where I would put your current "figures" and "quick options' dropdowns leaving the 'tool bar' for icons
great idea :!: i'm going to give it a try tomorrow.
I suspect the GTK interface adjusts the size of the drop down column depending on the text in it, because "figures" is wider than "quickoptions" so its not the title size.
yep, you're right.
I m somewhat adversed to try as Im not succeeding at much.
I dont want to take you away from 1.9 but I currently seem incapable of achieving much at all. :roll:
you should really play around with glade a bit (here's the home page). if you only want to try out how pixmaps look, it's easy.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

yep running glade now and fiddlin

but must fly
kids and wife want to go shopping :roll:
What type are you?