how to use the bygfoot-update script

General help forum. You can post here if you have trouble installing, for instance.
gyboth
Site Admin

how to use the bygfoot-update script

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:We should really move this cvs and update topic elsewhere, as admin can you do this?
here we are, a now topic.

let's start with some general info on the script:
  1. in 1.7.3, the script is located
    • in the directory with the 'configure' and 'Makefile' files in the source version,
    • in '/usr/share/bygfoot/support_files' in the rpm version,
    • in the directory with the executable 'bygfoot' in the bin version.
  2. almost everything that the script needs to know can be given as a command line option. type bygfoot-update -h (or --help) to see a list of all options.
  3. you can run the script without any command line option. in this case you'll be prompted whenever the script needs some input.
  4. the latest version of the script (newer than the one in 1.7.3) can be found here.
currently there are four main modes:
  1. update your source package with patches. This is only relevant, if you've compiled Bygfoot yourself. in this case, you can update your package using patches, which get downloaded and applied automatically (normally they are a lot smaller than the complete packages) whenever there's a new version; you don't have to download new versions any more.
  2. download the latest Bygfoot release. you don't have to visit the home page or the sourceforge.net project page to get new Bygfoot versions; you can use this mode of the script to download new releases.
  3. get country file package with official team names. because of copyright problems, the official Bygfoot packages don't contain real team names like 'Arsenal London', only city names like 'London'. but the real team names can be downloaded from the home page (section Additional download); and you can use this mode of the script to have them downloaded and unpacked for you.
  4. get CVS version. you can use this mode to get the latest CVS version for the 1.7 or 1.9 branch (cvs has to be installed, of course). CVS syntax is rather complicated and hard to memorize, which is why i added this mode. you can download the CVS version anonymously or by entering your sf.net username (you'll be prompted). after downloading you'll find a directory bygfoot-unstable (or bygfoot2-unstable for the 1.9 branch); to compile the package, enter the directory and type ./autogen.sh followed by make (and make install as root if you'd like to install the game system-wide). to keep the CVS version on your computer up-to-date, type cvs update -dP in the bygfoot-unstable directory.
    NOTE: you might get an error mentioning the .cvspass file; you can ignore the error message safely.
i hope this is more or less helpful. i'll answer any further questions, of course ;-)

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
vector

Post by vector »

a hah
I was running bygfoot-update -b (was in a post somewhere. I must have missunderstood.)
No menu was coming up.
I just ran bygfoot-update by itself and now i get a menu ;) all is clear now

A bit late to play tho Ill have a go tomorrow

things are so simple in hindsight ;)

couldnt help myself had to try now.
I enterd 4
it asked for /tmp (which i had set up earlier) so i enter again
it did a cvs checkout bygfoot-unstable
and downloaded a stack of files
never asked me for anything else tho.
and when finished i looked but could not find bygfoot-unstable dir anywhere.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:I was running bygfoot-update -b (was in a post somewhere. I must have missunderstood.)
No menu was coming up.
no, -b works too (it probably did ;-)); that switch tells the script that you want to run in CVS mode, so the initial prompt (menu) is skipped.
and when finished i looked but could not find bygfoot-unstable dir anywhere.
that's probably because you're looking in the directory you're in, '/home/vector/bygfoot' or so. but the cvs version got downloaded to the temp directory you specified, in your case '/tmp'. so if you take a look, there should be a directory 'bygfoot-unstable' in '/tmp' (the global temp dir, note the '/'!) next time you'd better enter some other directory you want the cvs version downloaded to, like '/home/vector/bygfoot/cvs' or so.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

clear once again. Linux pathing has always tripped me up. But vector scores this time after a wonderfull feed thru ball from gyboth ;)
I had made a tmp dir inside /home/vector/bygfoot but it never ended up with files. I assumed because it was a "tmp" folder that the update was just using it untill it had finished downloading and sorting. But assumption is the mother of all ....

I also had checked "/tmp" but of course it couldnt write anything there, no permissions.

finally I wised up and mkdir cvs inside my bygfoot and bingo there it is bygfoot unstable. yeah!!

reassembled for twiki please check
http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/cg ... ootInstall

I wish there was a way of embedding the cvs version or something inside the game to build confidence that I have got the latest.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:I also had checked "/tmp" but of course it couldnt write anything there, no permissions.
really? on my system i have write permissions; i picked it as default folder because i figured on the average linux system that's normal.
reassembled for twiki please check
it's all right, you're in the process of becoming a linux-expert :-D
I wish there was a way of embedding the cvs version or something inside the game to build confidence that I have got the latest.
hm.. i'm not sure i understand you. if you try to update the cvs version (be it with cvs update -dP or with the update script again), then you can get two kinds of output:

Code: Select all

cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/b-u
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/man
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/po
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/src
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/support_files
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/support_files/pixmaps
cvs checkout: Updating bygfoot-unstable/support_files/text_files
this means your cvs is up-to-date because no files were changed.
if you get something like this:

/cvsroot/bygfoot/bygfoot-unstable/README,v  -->  README
new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1.3
done
this means there were changes in some files and they got updated.

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

hmm
Im wondering if there is a difference between our cvs setups. Im assuming for example that I have anonymous read only type cvs link with the server.
Here is a snip from my latest bygfoot-update -b

? bygfoot-unstable/src/Makefile
? bygfoot-unstable/src/Makefile.in
? bygfoot-unstable/src/bygfoot
U bygfoot-unstable/README
I take it from this that the first 3 (ie ?) are unknown files to the cvs
README has been updated
the last 3 are checked and are the same (have not been changed)
There is no ver info here and I expected to see a modified file, other than README Because I noticed in a forum post you had fixed a bug.
I then thought lets try "diff"

mark@saturnlx:~/games/bygfootcvs/bygfoot-unstable$ cvs diff bygfoot
cvs diff: I know nothing about bygfoot
and mark@saturnlx:~/games/bygfootcvs/bygfoot-unstable$ cvs diff bygfoot-unstable
cvs diff: I know nothing about bygfoot-unstable
Hmm I see a CVS dir in bygfoot-unstable so Im not sure why I cant diff
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:Im wondering if there is a difference between our cvs setups. Im assuming for example that I have anonymous read only type cvs link with the server.
i don't think there is a difference.

? bygfoot-unstable/src/Makefile
? bygfoot-unstable/src/Makefile.in
? bygfoot-unstable/src/bygfoot
U bygfoot-unstable/README
I take it from this that the first 3 (ie ?) are unknown files to the cvs
yes, seems to be so.
README has been updated
the last 3 are checked and are the same (have not been changed)
There is no ver info here and I expected to see a modified file, other than README Because I noticed in a forum post you had fixed a bug.
that's not 'active' yet. it takes some time. but i changed the readme file some hours ago, just to test things.
mark@saturnlx:~/games/bygfootcvs/bygfoot-unstable$ cvs diff bygfoot
and mark@saturnlx:~/games/bygfootcvs/bygfoot-unstable$ cvs diff bygfoot-unstable
the problem is, cvs diff expects either a file or a dir or nothing. but neither 'bygfoot' nor 'bygfoot-unstable' is a file or a dir in your pwd. try 'diff' or 'diff -u'. but after updating there isn't much sense in that because there won't be a difference (except for the files that were generated locally in your dir by autogen.sh or so).

gyözö