Missing icons

General help forum. You can post here if you have trouble installing, for instance.
Penner

Missing icons

Post by Penner »

After I used the update script in a somewhat "special" way (I wanted to do it as a normal user, so I had to chmod 777 lots of files) the 4 flags on the right in the County selection section on ther "start game"-screen are missing (the one of mexico an three others, there are buttons but no flags) and if I select one of the countrys without flags (except Mexico) I get an error message saying that files couldn't be found. In the game, the "statistics" and the "end week" buttons are gone. What can I do now? Do I have to reinstall the game?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

1) which version (and package type) do you have? which one did you have before and after updating?

2) what was the exact procedure you used to update?

i can try to reproduce the problem and if i succeed, i can probably help you. if not, you'll have to reinstall, i guess.

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Penner

Post by Penner »

I compiled it myself (and did make install, that's why I have both the old and the new version, the old one remains in /usr/local/bin) ,it was 1.6.2 (AFAIR) before updating, now I have 1.8.0r9. I did the update as a normal user and often had "couldn't write file xxx" while updating, I chmod 777-ed these files/directories. (I know that that's perhaps not the most intelligent way, but I'm a Linux noob, so I didn't know what to do.)
PS:Sorry for bad English, I just learn it at school.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

1) maybe you had those file permission errors because the old files were owned by root?

2) after you do an update, you have to recompile (make) and install (make install) again. did you do that?

gyözö
Penner

Post by Penner »

:oops: Thx, I just hadn't done Make install, now the new version runs with all the icons and countries.
I'm a n00b and I'm German, sorry for bad English and even worse Linux skills.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

Penner, meet mom2pp, mom2pp meet Penner :lol:

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

gyboth wrote:Penner, meet mom2pp, mom2pp meet Penner :lol:

(Penner, see this post by mom2pp, or this one :-D)

gyözö